Jan 1, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Columbus has placed forward Matt Calvert on IR with an upper-body injury and recalled Jonathan Marchessault from AHL Springfield, the club announced on Wednesday.
Marchessault, a talented scorer at the AHL level, leads Springfield in goals (12) and points (26) this season. The diminutive forward has appeared in two NHL contests, both coming with Columbus last season.
Calvert, 24, has four goals and eight points in 17 games this season, missing extensive time (19 games) earlier with an abdominal injury. He was averaging over 16 minutes per game prior to getting hurt.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)