Jan 1, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
USA Hockey has announced its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Without further ado, here it is:
Forwards (14): David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk, Blake Wheeler
Some quick thoughts before general manager David Poile meets with the media in Ann Arbor:
— Like they did in 2010 when they won silver, the Americans will boast a lot of speed. And on the big ice in Sochi, that could be even more of an advantage than it was in Vancouver, where the ice was NHL-sized.
— Assuming he stays healthy and his play doesn’t fall off dramatically in the next month, Miller should be the starting goalie. He’s been excellent in Buffalo this season, and he was outstanding in Vancouver four years ago. Those factors should give him the edge over Quick, who hasn’t played since Nov. 12 due to a strained groin.
— If there’s a weakness compared to gold-medal favorite Canada, it may be the blue line. Suter is the only Norris Trophy candidate. The other seven are all good, obviously, but they’d be hard-pressed to make the Canadian squad.
As for the players who were passed over (a.k.a. snubs), click here to read about Bobby Ryan et al.
The U.S. plays its first game on Feb. 13 versus Slovakia.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)