Jan 1, 2014, 5:01 PM EST
USA Hockey has announced its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Without further ado, here it is:
Forwards (14): David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk, Blake Wheeler
Some quick thoughts before general manager David Poile meets with the media in Ann Arbor:
— Like they did in 2010 when they won silver, the Americans will boast a lot of speed. And on the big ice in Sochi, that could be even more of an advantage than it was in Vancouver, where the ice was NHL-sized.
— Assuming he stays healthy and his play doesn’t fall off dramatically in the next month, Miller should be the starting goalie. He’s been excellent in Buffalo this season, and he was outstanding in Vancouver four years ago. Those factors should give him the edge over Quick, who hasn’t played since Nov. 12 due to a strained groin.
— If there’s a weakness compared to gold-medal favorite Canada, it may be the blue line. Suter is the only Norris Trophy candidate. The other seven are all good, obviously, but they’d be hard-pressed to make the Canadian squad.
As for the players who were passed over (a.k.a. snubs), click here to read about Bobby Ryan et al.
The U.S. plays its first game on Feb. 13 versus Slovakia.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)