Jan 1, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
USA Hockey has announced its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Without further ado, here it is:
Forwards (14): David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk, Blake Wheeler
Some quick thoughts before general manager David Poile meets with the media in Ann Arbor:
— Like they did in 2010 when they won silver, the Americans will boast a lot of speed. And on the big ice in Sochi, that could be even more of an advantage than it was in Vancouver, where the ice was NHL-sized.
— Assuming he stays healthy and his play doesn’t fall off dramatically in the next month, Miller should be the starting goalie. He’s been excellent in Buffalo this season, and he was outstanding in Vancouver four years ago. Those factors should give him the edge over Quick, who hasn’t played since Nov. 12 due to a strained groin.
— If there’s a weakness compared to gold-medal favorite Canada, it may be the blue line. Suter is the only Norris Trophy candidate. The other seven are all good, obviously, but they’d be hard-pressed to make the Canadian squad.
As for the players who were passed over (a.k.a. snubs), click here to read about Bobby Ryan et al.
The U.S. plays its first game on Feb. 13 versus Slovakia.
- Caps’ Backstrom underwent arthroscopic hip surgery 0
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 39
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)