Jan 1, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz caught up with an anonymous former NHL trainer who gave a best-case scenario for Hertl’s return (three months) and grimmer outlook that would span six-to-nine months.
“A PCL is about as big around as your pinkie,” The unnamed trainer said. “Let’s say a quarter of the PCL was torn, and they went in and cleaned up the fibers, and stuff like that. Well, then it won’t be six months. It will probably be three months.
“Usually, a PCL repair or reconstruction is about the same rehab time as an ACL reconstruction. If they truly reconstructed and fixed it, it’s a six-to-nine month process.”
It’s not all bad news, according to the trainer (who hasn’t treated the 20-year-old). The bright side is that he didn’t damage his ACL, so he’s likely to avoid any long-term effects like a loss of explosiveness.
The waiting game might not be a lot of fun, but at least it sounds like Hertl will be OK when this all blows over. It’s just unclear when, exactly, that will happen.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)