Jan 1, 2014, 9:11 PM EST
CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz caught up with an anonymous former NHL trainer who gave a best-case scenario for Hertl’s return (three months) and grimmer outlook that would span six-to-nine months.
“A PCL is about as big around as your pinkie,” The unnamed trainer said. “Let’s say a quarter of the PCL was torn, and they went in and cleaned up the fibers, and stuff like that. Well, then it won’t be six months. It will probably be three months.
“Usually, a PCL repair or reconstruction is about the same rehab time as an ACL reconstruction. If they truly reconstructed and fixed it, it’s a six-to-nine month process.”
It’s not all bad news, according to the trainer (who hasn’t treated the 20-year-old). The bright side is that he didn’t damage his ACL, so he’s likely to avoid any long-term effects like a loss of explosiveness.
The waiting game might not be a lot of fun, but at least it sounds like Hertl will be OK when this all blows over. It’s just unclear when, exactly, that will happen.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)