Jan 1, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Todd McLellan wasn’t mincing words following one of San Jose’s worst losses of the season.
“You have to look at yourself individually. I challenged to do that on the plane on the way home,” he said following a 6-3 defeat to Anaheim, per CSN Bay Area. “What do you do? What do you bring to the team? Moving forward, are you an energy guy, do you hit, do you block shots, or do you just take up space?
The comments came after Anaheim scored four times in a five-minute span between the second and third periods to break open a 2-2 tie. By the time the Sharks recovered, the score was 6-2 (Bracken Kearns scored to make it 6-3) and the club was left lamenting what went wrong.
Tyler Kennedy, who has been a healthy scratch this season, finished minus-3 on the night. Logan Couture went just 47 percent in the faceoff circle and Brent Burns, often relied upon to get the forecheck going and provide physicality, finished with just one hit. (McLellan has critiqued Burns’ play recently as well.)
In blasting the team, McLellan alluded to several players not understanding their roles. But it was interesting to hear how sharp a tone he took, especially since the Sharks had won four games prior to the Anaheim loss.
“We’ve got some guys right now that’s it’s been going on for a little while,” he said. “They need to perform a little bit better.”
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 24
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 23
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)