Jan 1, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Todd McLellan wasn’t mincing words following one of San Jose’s worst losses of the season.
“You have to look at yourself individually. I challenged to do that on the plane on the way home,” he said following a 6-3 defeat to Anaheim, per CSN Bay Area. “What do you do? What do you bring to the team? Moving forward, are you an energy guy, do you hit, do you block shots, or do you just take up space?
The comments came after Anaheim scored four times in a five-minute span between the second and third periods to break open a 2-2 tie. By the time the Sharks recovered, the score was 6-2 (Bracken Kearns scored to make it 6-3) and the club was left lamenting what went wrong.
Tyler Kennedy, who has been a healthy scratch this season, finished minus-3 on the night. Logan Couture went just 47 percent in the faceoff circle and Brent Burns, often relied upon to get the forecheck going and provide physicality, finished with just one hit. (McLellan has critiqued Burns’ play recently as well.)
In blasting the team, McLellan alluded to several players not understanding their roles. But it was interesting to hear how sharp a tone he took, especially since the Sharks had won four games prior to the Anaheim loss.
“We’ve got some guys right now that’s it’s been going on for a little while,” he said. “They need to perform a little bit better.”
Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Wild still suffering from Monday’s loss to the Rangers.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
After playing a man short on Tuesday in Philly.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Some good news for Edmonton on the injury front.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
If he could get going, Dallas wouldn’t be as reliant on its top line.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist got that 1-0 lead back.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“No news is bad news” for the veteran forward.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Also: a fun story from Mike Milbury’s playing days.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
It appears that the health of “Mr. Hockey” has been improving.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He hopes to end his scoring slump against Detroit tonight.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Can Alex Ovechkin break his cold streak?
Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Markus Granlund gets called up amid many injuries.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
“Right now, the playing situation is out of my control.”
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)