Jan 1, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Todd McLellan wasn’t mincing words following one of San Jose’s worst losses of the season.
“You have to look at yourself individually. I challenged to do that on the plane on the way home,” he said following a 6-3 defeat to Anaheim, per CSN Bay Area. “What do you do? What do you bring to the team? Moving forward, are you an energy guy, do you hit, do you block shots, or do you just take up space?
The comments came after Anaheim scored four times in a five-minute span between the second and third periods to break open a 2-2 tie. By the time the Sharks recovered, the score was 6-2 (Bracken Kearns scored to make it 6-3) and the club was left lamenting what went wrong.
Tyler Kennedy, who has been a healthy scratch this season, finished minus-3 on the night. Logan Couture went just 47 percent in the faceoff circle and Brent Burns, often relied upon to get the forecheck going and provide physicality, finished with just one hit. (McLellan has critiqued Burns’ play recently as well.)
In blasting the team, McLellan alluded to several players not understanding their roles. But it was interesting to hear how sharp a tone he took, especially since the Sharks had won four games prior to the Anaheim loss.
“We’ve got some guys right now that’s it’s been going on for a little while,” he said. “They need to perform a little bit better.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 13
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 17
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 24
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 52
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)