Jan 1, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
Bobby Ryan might be the headlining “snub” for the U.S. Olympic team, but Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle isn’t far behind him. The 27-year-old wasn’t available when news surfaced that he wasn’t among American GM David Poile’s eight defensive choices, so Coyotes GM Don Maloney ended up providing perspective to Fox Sports Arizona on Wednesday:
“It really speaks volumes for the depth and quality of players USA Hockey is putting out,” Maloney said. “I’m disappointed for Keith, but a 10-day break in February to regroup before the last six to seven weeks of the season is not the worst thing in the world for the Phoenix Coyotes.”
(With that thought process in mind, Maloney probably secretly hopes for some other “snubs” on his roster.)
Before hearing about the snub, Yandle discussed the enticing possibility of using his offensive skills on a larger Olympic ice surface.
“I’ve never been to Russia, so hopefully I’ll get the opportunity,” Yandle said. “I think that would be the best part — a lot of ice, a lot of room to skate. Here in the NHL, there’s a lot of big bodies out there and there’s not too much room to get around. You can use your skating a little bit more (on the bigger surface).”
Assuming injuries won’t open the door for Yandle to play for the USA after all, that quote might provide a few “What if?” questions for Yandle, American fans and maybe even the U.S. brass … especially if the team’s other blueliners fail to produce offense with that extra room.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Steve Mason is “out.”
Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Short answer: Plenty.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
So, what happens now with Evander Kane?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Click inside to see…
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)