Jan 1, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle thinks Tim Gleason and the Leafs are a good fit.
“With Gleason, we feel that he can come back into a hockey environment where we can support him with the style of play that I think suits his style,” Carlyle said. “We want him to be a guy that can come back in and move the puck. He’s a big man.”
Gleason, 30, is a former first-round pick and veteran of over 600 NHL contests. His best years came between 2005-10 — he made his first and only playoff appearance with Carolina, and represented the U.S. at the Vancouver Winter Olympics — but he’s had a rough go of things over the last few seasons. Injuries (including a broken foot and concussion) have sidelined him at various times, and his average TOI per game has fallen below 16 minutes, his lowest since breaking in as a rookie with the Kings in 2003-04.
Still, Carlyle thinks he can be of use to the Leafs’ back end.
“We just want [Gleason] to make a contribution,” Carlyle said. “His contribution won’t be expected to be a power play guy, won’t be expected to be a defensive guy, but a big strong guy that can move the puck.”
As for the guy going to Carolina — Liles — Carlyle thanked him for being an “excellent pro” and “excellent person” during his time in Toronto, but admitted it was tough getting Liles in the lineup with the emergence of Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner.
Here’s what Leafs GM Dave Nonis had to say about Gleason breaking into the Toronto lineup…
Nonis didn’t exactly give a huge ringing endorsement to Gleason. Said he would have to earn ice time etc.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) January 1, 2014
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 2
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 2
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 10
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)