Jan 1, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
With an enormous crowd on hand at Ann Arbor’s Big House, the 2014 Winter Classic was a huge success for the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs and NHL on a whole. Commissioner Gary Bettman wasn’t shy about singing the event’s praises.
“The 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic was everything we hoped for — the biggest and best New Year’s Day party in our history,” Bettman said in a press release. “The Red Wings and Maple Leafs gave our fans, here at ‘The Big House’ and all around the hockey world, a spectacular afternoon …”
While the Big House is known for the University of Michigan’s packed football games, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock pulled out a baseball metaphor to rave about the outdoor game.
“To me, today was a home run for hockey,” Babcock said.
Hey, a home run has a better ring to it than a touchdown or a “pick-six,” anyway …
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 21
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 83
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 70
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7