Jan 1, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
With an enormous crowd on hand at Ann Arbor’s Big House, the 2014 Winter Classic was a huge success for the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs and NHL on a whole. Commissioner Gary Bettman wasn’t shy about singing the event’s praises.
“The 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic was everything we hoped for — the biggest and best New Year’s Day party in our history,” Bettman said in a press release. “The Red Wings and Maple Leafs gave our fans, here at ‘The Big House’ and all around the hockey world, a spectacular afternoon …”
While the Big House is known for the University of Michigan’s packed football games, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock pulled out a baseball metaphor to rave about the outdoor game.
“To me, today was a home run for hockey,” Babcock said.
Hey, a home run has a better ring to it than a touchdown or a “pick-six,” anyway …
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 70
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)