Jan 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Is it time for head coach Mike Yeo to go? Depends who you ask, but captain Mikko Koivu wasn’t willing to pin any of the team’s slump on the bench boss.
“It’s our job to play the game,” said Koivu, per the StarTribune. “It’s not systems, it’s not coaching. It’s on us. The system works. We have to be better. We didn’t change as players and a team in two, three weeks. We have it here. It’s a matter of how we execute. We can’t worry what’s going on around us. We’ve got to get better as a team, and we will.”
Koivu’s message was similar to the one general manager Chuck Fletcher gave recently, when he said: “If every time you have a five-game winning streak or a five-game losing streak you start to overreact either way, you’re going to be in trouble in this business.”
Still, it’s never a good sign for a coach when the local newspapers are listing his potential replacements.
Minnesota hosts Buffalo tomorrow and Washington Saturday.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)