Dec 31, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
For the first time since their losing streak began, the Minnesota Wild held their competition to just two goals. That still wasn’t enough to stop the bleeding.
Josh Harding stopped just 26 of 31 shots after a four-game absence on Saturday as the Wild blew a 3-0 lead in an eventual 5-4 loss against the New York Islanders. After that humiliating defeat, they started tonight’s contest strong, but fizzled out.
“What it came down to is we broke,” Minnesota Wild coach Mike Yeo said in his postgame presser.
St. Louis Blues forward T.J. Oshie and Jaden Schwartz each found the back of the net, but they were the only ones able to beat Harding tonight. On the other end of the ice, Ryan Suter spoiled goaltender Brian Elliott shutout bid with just 8.3 seconds left in the third period of the Blues 2-1 win.
After dropping six straight games, Minnesota is still just two points shy of the second Wild Card spot, which is currently occupied by the Phoenix Coyotes. However, Phoenix has played in four fewer contests going into its match against Edmonton tonight.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s assortment of links.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)