Dec 31, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
For the first time since their losing streak began, the Minnesota Wild held their competition to just two goals. That still wasn’t enough to stop the bleeding.
Josh Harding stopped just 26 of 31 shots after a four-game absence on Saturday as the Wild blew a 3-0 lead in an eventual 5-4 loss against the New York Islanders. After that humiliating defeat, they started tonight’s contest strong, but fizzled out.
“What it came down to is we broke,” Minnesota Wild coach Mike Yeo said in his postgame presser.
St. Louis Blues forward T.J. Oshie and Jaden Schwartz each found the back of the net, but they were the only ones able to beat Harding tonight. On the other end of the ice, Ryan Suter spoiled goaltender Brian Elliott shutout bid with just 8.3 seconds left in the third period of the Blues 2-1 win.
After dropping six straight games, Minnesota is still just two points shy of the second Wild Card spot, which is currently occupied by the Phoenix Coyotes. However, Phoenix has played in four fewer contests going into its match against Edmonton tonight.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Was traded from Toronto on July 1.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
New Caps coach wants “people who are really good at distributing the puck and making things happen from the middle of the ice.”
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Had 11 goals and seven assists in 53 games last season.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Expected to be healthy for training camp.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer now.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They won the Stanley Cup together in Tampa Bay.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 7
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (39)