Dec 31, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
For the first time since their losing streak began, the Minnesota Wild held their competition to just two goals. That still wasn’t enough to stop the bleeding.
Josh Harding stopped just 26 of 31 shots after a four-game absence on Saturday as the Wild blew a 3-0 lead in an eventual 5-4 loss against the New York Islanders. After that humiliating defeat, they started tonight’s contest strong, but fizzled out.
“What it came down to is we broke,” Minnesota Wild coach Mike Yeo said in his postgame presser.
St. Louis Blues forward T.J. Oshie and Jaden Schwartz each found the back of the net, but they were the only ones able to beat Harding tonight. On the other end of the ice, Ryan Suter spoiled goaltender Brian Elliott shutout bid with just 8.3 seconds left in the third period of the Blues 2-1 win.
After dropping six straight games, Minnesota is still just two points shy of the second Wild Card spot, which is currently occupied by the Phoenix Coyotes. However, Phoenix has played in four fewer contests going into its match against Edmonton tonight.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)