Dec 31, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
As is often the case when talking about the upcoming Winter Olympics, it starts with the qualifier that the player in question is focused on his current duties. That being said, Chicago’s Jonathan Toews thinks that he’s “as prepared as they come” to serve as Team Canada’s captain.
“If given that chance, with the experiences I’ve had with this team going to two Stanley Cup finals and coming out on top … that’s the type of experience you take with you to a tournament like that,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune.
Canada has no shortage of leadership options with Sidney Crosby being among the noteworthy alternatives. Among his many accomplishments is a Stanley Cup championship and scoring the game-winning goal for Canada in the 2010 gold medal run.
Regardless of who’s wearing the ‘C’, Toews is looking forward to playing for Canada again. He should play a big role too after scoring 15 goals and 40 points in 42 games this season.
“You’re playing with the best players from your country but also against the best players in the world, and that’s the ultimate level in your sport.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)