Dec 31, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
As is often the case when talking about the upcoming Winter Olympics, it starts with the qualifier that the player in question is focused on his current duties. That being said, Chicago’s Jonathan Toews thinks that he’s “as prepared as they come” to serve as Team Canada’s captain.
“If given that chance, with the experiences I’ve had with this team going to two Stanley Cup finals and coming out on top … that’s the type of experience you take with you to a tournament like that,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune.
Canada has no shortage of leadership options with Sidney Crosby being among the noteworthy alternatives. Among his many accomplishments is a Stanley Cup championship and scoring the game-winning goal for Canada in the 2010 gold medal run.
Regardless of who’s wearing the ‘C’, Toews is looking forward to playing for Canada again. He should play a big role too after scoring 15 goals and 40 points in 42 games this season.
“You’re playing with the best players from your country but also against the best players in the world, and that’s the ultimate level in your sport.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)