Dec 31, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
The NHL’s last-place team is starting to have fun again.
“Even with the position we’re in right now, it seems to be quite a positive room,” Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers said, per the Buffalo News. “The direction we’re headed is one I think everyone is excited about.
“It’s a completely different feel in the room. I don’t think we’ve had this feeling in the room for quite some time now, not even just looking at this year but last year was a tough year as well. The atmosphere right now within the group, all the guys are pretty happy about it.”
The Sabres are 5-2-2 since starting the season 6-22-2 — a start that cost general manager Darcy Regier and coach Ron Rolston their jobs and led to the trade of veteran forward Thomas Vanek. And while they’re still relying too much on goalie Ryan Miller to keep them in games, at least they’re getting some shots on the guy in the other net now. In fact, they’ve registered at least 30 shots in six of their last nine games.
“I think they feel good about themselves,” said coach Ted Nolan.
“We’ve got a long ways to go.”
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 15
- Mike Richards clears waivers 25
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)