Dec 31, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
The NHL’s last-place team is starting to have fun again.
“Even with the position we’re in right now, it seems to be quite a positive room,” Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers said, per the Buffalo News. “The direction we’re headed is one I think everyone is excited about.
“It’s a completely different feel in the room. I don’t think we’ve had this feeling in the room for quite some time now, not even just looking at this year but last year was a tough year as well. The atmosphere right now within the group, all the guys are pretty happy about it.”
The Sabres are 5-2-2 since starting the season 6-22-2 — a start that cost general manager Darcy Regier and coach Ron Rolston their jobs and led to the trade of veteran forward Thomas Vanek. And while they’re still relying too much on goalie Ryan Miller to keep them in games, at least they’re getting some shots on the guy in the other net now. In fact, they’ve registered at least 30 shots in six of their last nine games.
“I think they feel good about themselves,” said coach Ted Nolan.
“We’ve got a long ways to go.”
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)