Dec 31, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
The NHL’s last-place team is starting to have fun again.
“Even with the position we’re in right now, it seems to be quite a positive room,” Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers said, per the Buffalo News. “The direction we’re headed is one I think everyone is excited about.
“It’s a completely different feel in the room. I don’t think we’ve had this feeling in the room for quite some time now, not even just looking at this year but last year was a tough year as well. The atmosphere right now within the group, all the guys are pretty happy about it.”
The Sabres are 5-2-2 since starting the season 6-22-2 — a start that cost general manager Darcy Regier and coach Ron Rolston their jobs and led to the trade of veteran forward Thomas Vanek. And while they’re still relying too much on goalie Ryan Miller to keep them in games, at least they’re getting some shots on the guy in the other net now. In fact, they’ve registered at least 30 shots in six of their last nine games.
“I think they feel good about themselves,” said coach Ted Nolan.
“We’ve got a long ways to go.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)