Dec 31, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
The NHL’s last-place team is starting to have fun again.
“Even with the position we’re in right now, it seems to be quite a positive room,” Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers said, per the Buffalo News. “The direction we’re headed is one I think everyone is excited about.
“It’s a completely different feel in the room. I don’t think we’ve had this feeling in the room for quite some time now, not even just looking at this year but last year was a tough year as well. The atmosphere right now within the group, all the guys are pretty happy about it.”
The Sabres are 5-2-2 since starting the season 6-22-2 — a start that cost general manager Darcy Regier and coach Ron Rolston their jobs and led to the trade of veteran forward Thomas Vanek. And while they’re still relying too much on goalie Ryan Miller to keep them in games, at least they’re getting some shots on the guy in the other net now. In fact, they’ve registered at least 30 shots in six of their last nine games.
“I think they feel good about themselves,” said coach Ted Nolan.
“We’ve got a long ways to go.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)