Dec 31, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Olli Maatta, the 19-year-old rookie defenseman of the Pittsburgh Penguins, might be spectator on Tuesday as a healthy scratch, while his team faces the New Jersey Devils.
That’s according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Tuesday morning. Maatta, the club’s first-round pick, 22nd overall, in 2012 has played well in his first season with the Penguins but has gone through a rough patch of late, going a combined minus-three in his last three games.
“All those things are considerations,” said Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma, according to Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“His play maybe hasn’t been as strong in the past couple (of games). When his play is good, he’s been worked with and coached and looked at video. That’s certainly going to happen during this stretch as well.”
The Penguins are running away with the Metropolitan Division, currently with a record of 29-11-1. Their 59 points is 14 ahead of the second-place Washington Capitals.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 0
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 3
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)