Dec 31, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
Olli Maatta, the 19-year-old rookie defenseman of the Pittsburgh Penguins, might be spectator on Tuesday as a healthy scratch, while his team faces the New Jersey Devils.
That’s according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Tuesday morning. Maatta, the club’s first-round pick, 22nd overall, in 2012 has played well in his first season with the Penguins but has gone through a rough patch of late, going a combined minus-three in his last three games.
“All those things are considerations,” said Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma, according to Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“His play maybe hasn’t been as strong in the past couple (of games). When his play is good, he’s been worked with and coached and looked at video. That’s certainly going to happen during this stretch as well.”
The Penguins are running away with the Metropolitan Division, currently with a record of 29-11-1. Their 59 points is 14 ahead of the second-place Washington Capitals.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)