Dec 31, 2013, 8:31 AM EST
It wasn’t much of a surprise, but Michael Raffl was still excited to hear he’d been named to Team Austria for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
“It’s nice,” he said, per the Flyers website. “The coach (Manny Viveiros) called me last week and told me ‘You’re going to be on the team,’ It’s exciting, It’s something I’m looking forward to.”
Raffl, who rose to prominence playing alongside Thomas Vanek at the World Championships last spring, said he figured he’d be in the mix for the ’14 Winter Games, but added “you never know until you are told.”
The 25-year-old has been a revelation for the Flyers this season. He has 11 points in 27 games since his recall from AHL Adirondack, occasionally drawing top-line duty while averaging nearly 14 minutes per game.
Austria doesn’t have a lot of NHL firepower on its roster, but does feature a few intriguing names — Raffl, Vanek and Michael Grabner, most notably.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)