Dec 31, 2013, 8:31 AM EDT
It wasn’t much of a surprise, but Michael Raffl was still excited to hear he’d been named to Team Austria for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
“It’s nice,” he said, per the Flyers website. “The coach (Manny Viveiros) called me last week and told me ‘You’re going to be on the team,’ It’s exciting, It’s something I’m looking forward to.”
Raffl, who rose to prominence playing alongside Thomas Vanek at the World Championships last spring, said he figured he’d be in the mix for the ’14 Winter Games, but added “you never know until you are told.”
The 25-year-old has been a revelation for the Flyers this season. He has 11 points in 27 games since his recall from AHL Adirondack, occasionally drawing top-line duty while averaging nearly 14 minutes per game.
Austria doesn’t have a lot of NHL firepower on its roster, but does feature a few intriguing names — Raffl, Vanek and Michael Grabner, most notably.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (61)