Dec 31, 2013, 8:31 AM EDT
It wasn’t much of a surprise, but Michael Raffl was still excited to hear he’d been named to Team Austria for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
“It’s nice,” he said, per the Flyers website. “The coach (Manny Viveiros) called me last week and told me ‘You’re going to be on the team,’ It’s exciting, It’s something I’m looking forward to.”
Raffl, who rose to prominence playing alongside Thomas Vanek at the World Championships last spring, said he figured he’d be in the mix for the ’14 Winter Games, but added “you never know until you are told.”
The 25-year-old has been a revelation for the Flyers this season. He has 11 points in 27 games since his recall from AHL Adirondack, occasionally drawing top-line duty while averaging nearly 14 minutes per game.
Austria doesn’t have a lot of NHL firepower on its roster, but does feature a few intriguing names — Raffl, Vanek and Michael Grabner, most notably.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)