Dec 31, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
The goaltending match-up for the 2014 Winter Classic is set.
Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier said he was getting the start against the Detroit Red Wings on New Year’s Day following Leafs practice at Michigan Stadium today. Detroit will counter with Jimmy Howard who returned from an injury on Monday night.
Bernier’s career numbers against Detroit aren’t so hot. In five career games, he’s 1-1-1 with a .893 save percentage and a 3.13 goals-against average. Oddly enough, those numbers are better than James Reimer‘s against the Wings.
In two games against the Wings, Reimer is 0-1-0 with a 4.95 goals-against average and .850 save percentage. With the game set on the massive stage of The Big House in Ann Arbor, Michigan going with Bernier is the logical call.
Howard struggled in his return against the Nashville Predators last night allowing five goals in a 6-4 loss. His numbers are equally poor against the Maple Leafs going 0-1-0 in two career games with a 3.43 goals-against average and a .829 save percentage.
Those are some small sample sizes for everyone to make wild judgments from.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)