Dec 31, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
The goaltending match-up for the 2014 Winter Classic is set.
Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier said he was getting the start against the Detroit Red Wings on New Year’s Day following Leafs practice at Michigan Stadium today. Detroit will counter with Jimmy Howard who returned from an injury on Monday night.
Bernier’s career numbers against Detroit aren’t so hot. In five career games, he’s 1-1-1 with a .893 save percentage and a 3.13 goals-against average. Oddly enough, those numbers are better than James Reimer‘s against the Wings.
In two games against the Wings, Reimer is 0-1-0 with a 4.95 goals-against average and .850 save percentage. With the game set on the massive stage of The Big House in Ann Arbor, Michigan going with Bernier is the logical call.
Howard struggled in his return against the Nashville Predators last night allowing five goals in a 6-4 loss. His numbers are equally poor against the Maple Leafs going 0-1-0 in two career games with a 3.43 goals-against average and a .829 save percentage.
Those are some small sample sizes for everyone to make wild judgments from.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)