Dec 31, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
The goaltending match-up for the 2014 Winter Classic is set.
Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonathan Bernier said he was getting the start against the Detroit Red Wings on New Year’s Day following Leafs practice at Michigan Stadium today. Detroit will counter with Jimmy Howard who returned from an injury on Monday night.
Bernier’s career numbers against Detroit aren’t so hot. In five career games, he’s 1-1-1 with a .893 save percentage and a 3.13 goals-against average. Oddly enough, those numbers are better than James Reimer‘s against the Wings.
In two games against the Wings, Reimer is 0-1-0 with a 4.95 goals-against average and .850 save percentage. With the game set on the massive stage of The Big House in Ann Arbor, Michigan going with Bernier is the logical call.
Howard struggled in his return against the Nashville Predators last night allowing five goals in a 6-4 loss. His numbers are equally poor against the Maple Leafs going 0-1-0 in two career games with a 3.43 goals-against average and a .829 save percentage.
Those are some small sample sizes for everyone to make wild judgments from.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63