Dec 31, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
Last year, Jaromir Jagr was one of the biggest names moved at the NHL trade deadline.
This year, he doesn’t want it to happen again.
That’s what the veteran Devils forward said on Monday, telling the New Jersey Star-Ledger he’s more than happy to stay put for the year:
“I’m not going to ask for a trade if everything stays the same. I’ll fight to the end. I like it here too much,” Jagr told The Star-Ledger. “I would hate to go to some team just to help them. I’d feel like a rented guy.
“They’d use me the way they want to, not because they need me. They’d already be happy with their team. I don’t think I’d play the same way. I need my 18-19 minutes. I need to play a lot in the third period when the game is on the line and guys are getting tired.
“I hope I stay. Everything can change, but I’ve had fun. I like the system we play. Even though it’s a more defensive system, I don’t mind it at all.”
Jagr, who turns 42 two weeks prior to the Mar. 5 deadline, has enjoyed tremendous success in New Jersey this year. He sits in the NHL’s top-30 in points (34 in 40 games) and leads the Devils with 13 goals. In fact, his goalscoring exploits are quickly becoming one of the stories of this season, as he’s on pace to score 27 — which would be his highest total since scoring 30 with the Rangers in 2006-07.
The Devils currently sit fifth in the Metropolitan Division, three points back of Philly and five back of Detroit/Toronto for the final wild card spot, so it’s very possible Jagr’s name will come up as a potential rental as the deadline draws near. It’ll be interesting to see if he changes his mind about going elsewhere, especially given the impact he had on Boston’s Stanley Cup run of a year ago (10 points in 22 games, averaged nearly 18 minutes per night.)
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)