Dec 31, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Montoya back in
The Winnipeg Jets will give Al Montoya his second straight start — and his third appearance in a row — when they host the Sabres tonight at the MTS Centre.
Montoya came on in relief of Ondrej Pavelec in a 6-4 win over Minnesota a few nights ago, then stopped 33 of 34 shots faced in a 2-1 win over Colorado last time out.
Tonight, he’ll go up against Jhonas Enroth in the Buffalo goal. Enroth is still looking for his second win of the season, having last tasted victory on Oct. 25 versus Florida.
Bryzgalov faces former team
For the second time this week, Ilya Bryzgalov will go up against his former employer.
Tonight, Bryz will get the start for Edmonton when they take on the Coyotes in Phoenix. The start comes on the heels of Saturday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Philly, in which Bryzgalov allowed three goals on 38 shots. The Russian ‘tender is 2-4-1 with a 2.80 GAA and .916 save percentage this season, but could be extra motivated given he enjoyed his greatest success in Phoenix, earning a Vezina nomination during the 2009-10 campaign.
Bryzgalov will go up against his replacement in the Coyotes net — Mike Smith.
Rangers at Panthers: Henrik Lundqvist confirmed for Rangers; no word on Florida’s starter.
Kings at Stars: Nothing confirmed yet.
Blue Jackets at Avalanche: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado, no word on a Columbus starter yet.
Sharks at Ducks: Antti Niemi for San Jose; Anaheim yet to announce.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)