Dec 31, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Montoya back in
The Winnipeg Jets will give Al Montoya his second straight start — and his third appearance in a row — when they host the Sabres tonight at the MTS Centre.
Montoya came on in relief of Ondrej Pavelec in a 6-4 win over Minnesota a few nights ago, then stopped 33 of 34 shots faced in a 2-1 win over Colorado last time out.
Tonight, he’ll go up against Jhonas Enroth in the Buffalo goal. Enroth is still looking for his second win of the season, having last tasted victory on Oct. 25 versus Florida.
Bryzgalov faces former team
For the second time this week, Ilya Bryzgalov will go up against his former employer.
Tonight, Bryz will get the start for Edmonton when they take on the Coyotes in Phoenix. The start comes on the heels of Saturday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Philly, in which Bryzgalov allowed three goals on 38 shots. The Russian ‘tender is 2-4-1 with a 2.80 GAA and .916 save percentage this season, but could be extra motivated given he enjoyed his greatest success in Phoenix, earning a Vezina nomination during the 2009-10 campaign.
Bryzgalov will go up against his replacement in the Coyotes net — Mike Smith.
Rangers at Panthers: Henrik Lundqvist confirmed for Rangers; no word on Florida’s starter.
Kings at Stars: Nothing confirmed yet.
Blue Jackets at Avalanche: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado, no word on a Columbus starter yet.
Sharks at Ducks: Antti Niemi for San Jose; Anaheim yet to announce.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)