Dec 31, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Montoya back in
The Winnipeg Jets will give Al Montoya his second straight start — and his third appearance in a row — when they host the Sabres tonight at the MTS Centre.
Montoya came on in relief of Ondrej Pavelec in a 6-4 win over Minnesota a few nights ago, then stopped 33 of 34 shots faced in a 2-1 win over Colorado last time out.
Tonight, he’ll go up against Jhonas Enroth in the Buffalo goal. Enroth is still looking for his second win of the season, having last tasted victory on Oct. 25 versus Florida.
Bryzgalov faces former team
For the second time this week, Ilya Bryzgalov will go up against his former employer.
Tonight, Bryz will get the start for Edmonton when they take on the Coyotes in Phoenix. The start comes on the heels of Saturday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Philly, in which Bryzgalov allowed three goals on 38 shots. The Russian ‘tender is 2-4-1 with a 2.80 GAA and .916 save percentage this season, but could be extra motivated given he enjoyed his greatest success in Phoenix, earning a Vezina nomination during the 2009-10 campaign.
Bryzgalov will go up against his replacement in the Coyotes net — Mike Smith.
Rangers at Panthers: Henrik Lundqvist confirmed for Rangers; no word on Florida’s starter.
Kings at Stars: Nothing confirmed yet.
Blue Jackets at Avalanche: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado, no word on a Columbus starter yet.
Sharks at Ducks: Antti Niemi for San Jose; Anaheim yet to announce.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)