Dec 31, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Montoya back in
The Winnipeg Jets will give Al Montoya his second straight start — and his third appearance in a row — when they host the Sabres tonight at the MTS Centre.
Montoya came on in relief of Ondrej Pavelec in a 6-4 win over Minnesota a few nights ago, then stopped 33 of 34 shots faced in a 2-1 win over Colorado last time out.
Tonight, he’ll go up against Jhonas Enroth in the Buffalo goal. Enroth is still looking for his second win of the season, having last tasted victory on Oct. 25 versus Florida.
Bryzgalov faces former team
For the second time this week, Ilya Bryzgalov will go up against his former employer.
Tonight, Bryz will get the start for Edmonton when they take on the Coyotes in Phoenix. The start comes on the heels of Saturday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Philly, in which Bryzgalov allowed three goals on 38 shots. The Russian ‘tender is 2-4-1 with a 2.80 GAA and .916 save percentage this season, but could be extra motivated given he enjoyed his greatest success in Phoenix, earning a Vezina nomination during the 2009-10 campaign.
Bryzgalov will go up against his replacement in the Coyotes net — Mike Smith.
Rangers at Panthers: Henrik Lundqvist confirmed for Rangers; no word on Florida’s starter.
Kings at Stars: Nothing confirmed yet.
Blue Jackets at Avalanche: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado, no word on a Columbus starter yet.
Sharks at Ducks: Antti Niemi for San Jose; Anaheim yet to announce.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)