Dec 31, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Montoya back in
The Winnipeg Jets will give Al Montoya his second straight start — and his third appearance in a row — when they host the Sabres tonight at the MTS Centre.
Montoya came on in relief of Ondrej Pavelec in a 6-4 win over Minnesota a few nights ago, then stopped 33 of 34 shots faced in a 2-1 win over Colorado last time out.
Tonight, he’ll go up against Jhonas Enroth in the Buffalo goal. Enroth is still looking for his second win of the season, having last tasted victory on Oct. 25 versus Florida.
Bryzgalov faces former team
For the second time this week, Ilya Bryzgalov will go up against his former employer.
Tonight, Bryz will get the start for Edmonton when they take on the Coyotes in Phoenix. The start comes on the heels of Saturday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Philly, in which Bryzgalov allowed three goals on 38 shots. The Russian ‘tender is 2-4-1 with a 2.80 GAA and .916 save percentage this season, but could be extra motivated given he enjoyed his greatest success in Phoenix, earning a Vezina nomination during the 2009-10 campaign.
Bryzgalov will go up against his replacement in the Coyotes net — Mike Smith.
Rangers at Panthers: Henrik Lundqvist confirmed for Rangers; no word on Florida’s starter.
Kings at Stars: Nothing confirmed yet.
Blue Jackets at Avalanche: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado, no word on a Columbus starter yet.
Sharks at Ducks: Antti Niemi for San Jose; Anaheim yet to announce.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11