Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 PM EDT
Gilbert Brule was selected with the sixth overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft after Sidney Crosby, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson, Benoit Pouliot, and Carey Price. Unfortunately, unlike the five that were taken before him and many selected after him, Brule’s hockey career appears to be over.
Brule has 95 points and 156 penalty minutes in 299 career NHL games, but he’s struggled to find his place in the NHL lately. He’s only played in three contests with the Phoenix Coyotes this season and when they attempted to send him back to AHL Portland where he has 12 points in 11 contests, he refused to go.
The Coyotes suspended him as a result, but rather than ask to get out of his contract so that he can continue his career in Europe, it sounds like Brule is simply done.
“He decided that he didn’t want to live out of a suitcase anymore, was sick of living at hotels, and told me he was going to quit hockey – maybe become a firefighter,” Coyotes GM Don Maloney told the Arizona Republic.
“So what we do procedurally is we suspended him and unless he has a change of heart very, very quickly, we’ll go through the procedure of terminating his contract.”
Brule was reportedly on the brink of heading to the KHL before ultimately signing a two-way contract with Phoenix.
Maloney was surprised to hear that he would want to quit playing while he’s still young, but wishes him luck all the same.
“I did mention it’s hard to make the kind of money he’s making in the real world, but he’ll find that out pretty quick,” Maloney said. “But on the other hand, now he can get on with his real life. This is all just a bubble to me and once this is over with, now he can hopefully get his life in the direction he wants to take it.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25