Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 PM EST
Gilbert Brule was selected with the sixth overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft after Sidney Crosby, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson, Benoit Pouliot, and Carey Price. Unfortunately, unlike the five that were taken before him and many selected after him, Brule’s hockey career appears to be over.
Brule has 95 points and 156 penalty minutes in 299 career NHL games, but he’s struggled to find his place in the NHL lately. He’s only played in three contests with the Phoenix Coyotes this season and when they attempted to send him back to AHL Portland where he has 12 points in 11 contests, he refused to go.
The Coyotes suspended him as a result, but rather than ask to get out of his contract so that he can continue his career in Europe, it sounds like Brule is simply done.
“He decided that he didn’t want to live out of a suitcase anymore, was sick of living at hotels, and told me he was going to quit hockey – maybe become a firefighter,” Coyotes GM Don Maloney told the Arizona Republic.
“So what we do procedurally is we suspended him and unless he has a change of heart very, very quickly, we’ll go through the procedure of terminating his contract.”
Brule was reportedly on the brink of heading to the KHL before ultimately signing a two-way contract with Phoenix.
Maloney was surprised to hear that he would want to quit playing while he’s still young, but wishes him luck all the same.
“I did mention it’s hard to make the kind of money he’s making in the real world, but he’ll find that out pretty quick,” Maloney said. “But on the other hand, now he can get on with his real life. This is all just a bubble to me and once this is over with, now he can hopefully get his life in the direction he wants to take it.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4