Dec 31, 2013, 1:42 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers looked like they were down-and-out against the Vancouver Canucks on Monday until Brayden Schenn scored a last-minute goal in OT. After that, the Flyers edged the Canucks beyond regulation, winning via the shootout 4-3.
Here’s that goal by Schenn, which ended a 16-game drought for the plucky Philly forward:
Mason, 25, was called upon often in making 41 out of 44 saves for his fifth win in a row and 16th of 2013-14. This was the first time Mason has faced 40+ shots this season, as the Canucks carried the shot advantage in all three periods plus overtime.
Giroux, also 25, is making it virtually impossible for Team Canada to leave him out of the mix. He has a nine-game point streak in which he’s scored a blistering six goals and 11 assists (he has at least one assist in every contest). Eight of those nine games have included multiple-point outputs.
After a tough start to December, Philly is ending the month on a high note. They’ve won three in a row, five of six and have recorded a standing point in all but one of their last eight games (6-1-1). They close out the month and year against Calgary tomorrow.
One could argue that the Canucks have been even hotter this month. The Flyers ended Vancouver’s three-game winning steak and handed them just their third loss of the month (10-1-2 in that span).
Tom Sestito understandably called it a tough game to lose for Vancouver, yet it was tough to shake the feeling that both squads might be going in the right direction. Of course, both might agree with the notion that things could go in the other direction just as easily, however.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)