Dec 31, 2013, 1:42 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers looked like they were down-and-out against the Vancouver Canucks on Monday until Brayden Schenn scored a last-minute goal in OT. After that, the Flyers edged the Canucks beyond regulation, winning via the shootout 4-3.
Here’s that goal by Schenn, which ended a 16-game drought for the plucky Philly forward:
Mason, 25, was called upon often in making 41 out of 44 saves for his fifth win in a row and 16th of 2013-14. This was the first time Mason has faced 40+ shots this season, as the Canucks carried the shot advantage in all three periods plus overtime.
Giroux, also 25, is making it virtually impossible for Team Canada to leave him out of the mix. He has a nine-game point streak in which he’s scored a blistering six goals and 11 assists (he has at least one assist in every contest). Eight of those nine games have included multiple-point outputs.
After a tough start to December, Philly is ending the month on a high note. They’ve won three in a row, five of six and have recorded a standing point in all but one of their last eight games (6-1-1). They close out the month and year against Calgary tomorrow.
One could argue that the Canucks have been even hotter this month. The Flyers ended Vancouver’s three-game winning steak and handed them just their third loss of the month (10-1-2 in that span).
Tom Sestito understandably called it a tough game to lose for Vancouver, yet it was tough to shake the feeling that both squads might be going in the right direction. Of course, both might agree with the notion that things could go in the other direction just as easily, however.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)