Dec 31, 2013, 7:37 PM EST
Emile Poirier has agreed to a three-year, entry-level contract with the Calgary Flames.
Calgary acquired the 22 overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft from the St. Louis Blues in the Jay Bouwmeester trade and used it to select Poirier. The 19-year-old forward is one of three first rounders the Flames selected in 2013, including Morgan Kllimchuk and Sean Monahan.
Poirier has 24 goals, 39 assists, and 89 penalty minutes in 36 games with the QMJHL Gatineau Olympiques this season. That puts him on course to surpass his totals of 70 points and 101 penalty minutes in 65 contests in 2012-13.
He also scored a goal and registered an assist in three games with Calgary during the preseason.
The contract comes with a $925,000 annual cap hit at the NHL level and he is set to make $70,000 per season if he plays in the AHL.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)