Dec 31, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Tuesday was the Martin Brodeur show in New Jersey.
The veteran netminder did it all against Pittsburgh at the Prudential Center, turning aside 19 shots while notching the second assist on Michael Ryder‘s game-winning tally as the Devils beat the Pens 2-1 to close out 2013.
Brodeur was nonchalant about registering the 44th assist of his career.
“I almost gave up the puck,” he told the Star-Ledger. “I got lucky on the assist. I’ll take it.”
Here’s the goal:
The win moved the Devils to 17-16-1 on the year, though it was not all smiles as veteran forward Patrik Elias needed to be helped off the ice following a first-period collision with Tanner Glass. Elias looked shaken up leaving the ice and didn’t return to the game, and head coach Peter DeBoer said the club would update his condition tomorrow morning.
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 22
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 113
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17