Dec 31, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Tuesday was the Martin Brodeur show in New Jersey.
The veteran netminder did it all against Pittsburgh at the Prudential Center, turning aside 19 shots while notching the second assist on Michael Ryder‘s game-winning tally as the Devils beat the Pens 2-1 to close out 2013.
Brodeur was nonchalant about registering the 44th assist of his career.
“I almost gave up the puck,” he told the Star-Ledger. “I got lucky on the assist. I’ll take it.”
Here’s the goal:
The win moved the Devils to 17-16-1 on the year, though it was not all smiles as veteran forward Patrik Elias needed to be helped off the ice following a first-period collision with Tanner Glass. Elias looked shaken up leaving the ice and didn’t return to the game, and head coach Peter DeBoer said the club would update his condition tomorrow morning.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5