Dec 31, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
Tuesday was the Martin Brodeur show in New Jersey.
The veteran netminder did it all against Pittsburgh at the Prudential Center, turning aside 19 shots while notching the second assist on Michael Ryder‘s game-winning tally as the Devils beat the Pens 2-1 to close out 2013.
Brodeur was nonchalant about registering the 44th assist of his career.
“I almost gave up the puck,” he told the Star-Ledger. “I got lucky on the assist. I’ll take it.”
Here’s the goal:
The win moved the Devils to 17-16-1 on the year, though it was not all smiles as veteran forward Patrik Elias needed to be helped off the ice following a first-period collision with Tanner Glass. Elias looked shaken up leaving the ice and didn’t return to the game, and head coach Peter DeBoer said the club would update his condition tomorrow morning.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 27
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 20
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22