Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Calgary Flames acting general manager Brian Burke likes two aspects of Kevin Westgarth‘s game, and they’ve got nothing much to do with any kind of scoring touch.
“I’ve liked him since he played college hockey … I liked him in the American League,” said Burke on Monday, as per the Calgary Herald.
“What he brings is what we desperately need: Size and toughness.”
The Flames acquired Westgarth from the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday, in exchange for center and former first-round draft pick Greg Nemisz
Westgarth is in his fifth NHL season. He has three goals and nine points in 133 career games. But, along with 202 penalty minutes, he stands at six-foot-four-inches and weighs in at 234 pounds.
He can do this, as well.
Since Burke took over the GM duties after firing Jay Feaster, he’s made it a point of saying the Flames aren’t big enough, and would like to see his team play a tougher brand of hockey.
In other words: Burke wants to see his team play with more truculence.
“We want black and blue hockey,” he said during his press conference back in December.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)