Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
Calgary Flames acting general manager Brian Burke likes two aspects of Kevin Westgarth‘s game, and they’ve got nothing much to do with any kind of scoring touch.
“I’ve liked him since he played college hockey … I liked him in the American League,” said Burke on Monday, as per the Calgary Herald.
“What he brings is what we desperately need: Size and toughness.”
The Flames acquired Westgarth from the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday, in exchange for center and former first-round draft pick Greg Nemisz
Westgarth is in his fifth NHL season. He has three goals and nine points in 133 career games. But, along with 202 penalty minutes, he stands at six-foot-four-inches and weighs in at 234 pounds.
He can do this, as well.
Since Burke took over the GM duties after firing Jay Feaster, he’s made it a point of saying the Flames aren’t big enough, and would like to see his team play a tougher brand of hockey.
In other words: Burke wants to see his team play with more truculence.
“We want black and blue hockey,” he said during his press conference back in December.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 4
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 29
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 31
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)