Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
Calgary Flames acting general manager Brian Burke likes two aspects of Kevin Westgarth‘s game, and they’ve got nothing much to do with any kind of scoring touch.
“I’ve liked him since he played college hockey … I liked him in the American League,” said Burke on Monday, as per the Calgary Herald.
“What he brings is what we desperately need: Size and toughness.”
The Flames acquired Westgarth from the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday, in exchange for center and former first-round draft pick Greg Nemisz
Westgarth is in his fifth NHL season. He has three goals and nine points in 133 career games. But, along with 202 penalty minutes, he stands at six-foot-four-inches and weighs in at 234 pounds.
He can do this, as well.
Since Burke took over the GM duties after firing Jay Feaster, he’s made it a point of saying the Flames aren’t big enough, and would like to see his team play a tougher brand of hockey.
In other words: Burke wants to see his team play with more truculence.
“We want black and blue hockey,” he said during his press conference back in December.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (100)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)