Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Calgary Flames acting general manager Brian Burke likes two aspects of Kevin Westgarth‘s game, and they’ve got nothing much to do with any kind of scoring touch.
“I’ve liked him since he played college hockey … I liked him in the American League,” said Burke on Monday, as per the Calgary Herald.
“What he brings is what we desperately need: Size and toughness.”
The Flames acquired Westgarth from the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday, in exchange for center and former first-round draft pick Greg Nemisz
Westgarth is in his fifth NHL season. He has three goals and nine points in 133 career games. But, along with 202 penalty minutes, he stands at six-foot-four-inches and weighs in at 234 pounds.
He can do this, as well.
Since Burke took over the GM duties after firing Jay Feaster, he’s made it a point of saying the Flames aren’t big enough, and would like to see his team play a tougher brand of hockey.
In other words: Burke wants to see his team play with more truculence.
“We want black and blue hockey,” he said during his press conference back in December.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)