Dec 31, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Teams that host the Winter Classic are 1-3-1 and entering the sixth installment of the New Year’s Day event, Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has an idea as to what might be holding the home teams down as he told the media this afternoon:
Partying with the family.
“Well let’s just go with what’s going to happen at my house,” Babcock said. “My wife’s maiden name is Dunham and my kids say, ‘No one parties like a Dunham.’ So you can just imagine at my house tonight. That’s why a couple blocks down the road I got myself a hotel room. Because when 11 comes, they’re not going to care that the Winter Classic is tomorrow, they’re still going to be on time.
“So the home team has won one game. We went through this with our players. They know there’s an opportunity in our schedule for you to have a heck of a New Year’s Eve party on New Year’s Day. Make a decision, but if you’re counting on your family to do it for you, I don’t like your chances. That’s my theory.”
So basically, if you don’t want to wind up in Babcock’s doghouse, you’d better not show up bleary-eyed to Michigan Stadium on New Year’s Day. Also, if you really want to have a great party you have to hang out with the coach’s better half. Good to know.
Here’s video of the full presser from this afternoon:
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)