Dec 31, 2013, 3:12 PM EST
Teams that host the Winter Classic are 1-3-1 and entering the sixth installment of the New Year’s Day event, Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has an idea as to what might be holding the home teams down as he told the media this afternoon:
Partying with the family.
“Well let’s just go with what’s going to happen at my house,” Babcock said. “My wife’s maiden name is Dunham and my kids say, ‘No one parties like a Dunham.’ So you can just imagine at my house tonight. That’s why a couple blocks down the road I got myself a hotel room. Because when 11 comes, they’re not going to care that the Winter Classic is tomorrow, they’re still going to be on time.
“So the home team has won one game. We went through this with our players. They know there’s an opportunity in our schedule for you to have a heck of a New Year’s Eve party on New Year’s Day. Make a decision, but if you’re counting on your family to do it for you, I don’t like your chances. That’s my theory.”
So basically, if you don’t want to wind up in Babcock’s doghouse, you’d better not show up bleary-eyed to Michigan Stadium on New Year’s Day. Also, if you really want to have a great party you have to hang out with the coach’s better half. Good to know.
Here’s video of the full presser from this afternoon:
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)