Dec 31, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Teams that host the Winter Classic are 1-3-1 and entering the sixth installment of the New Year’s Day event, Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has an idea as to what might be holding the home teams down as he told the media this afternoon:
Partying with the family.
“Well let’s just go with what’s going to happen at my house,” Babcock said. “My wife’s maiden name is Dunham and my kids say, ‘No one parties like a Dunham.’ So you can just imagine at my house tonight. That’s why a couple blocks down the road I got myself a hotel room. Because when 11 comes, they’re not going to care that the Winter Classic is tomorrow, they’re still going to be on time.
“So the home team has won one game. We went through this with our players. They know there’s an opportunity in our schedule for you to have a heck of a New Year’s Eve party on New Year’s Day. Make a decision, but if you’re counting on your family to do it for you, I don’t like your chances. That’s my theory.”
So basically, if you don’t want to wind up in Babcock’s doghouse, you’d better not show up bleary-eyed to Michigan Stadium on New Year’s Day. Also, if you really want to have a great party you have to hang out with the coach’s better half. Good to know.
Here’s video of the full presser from this afternoon:
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 29
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)