Dec 31, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Teams that host the Winter Classic are 1-3-1 and entering the sixth installment of the New Year’s Day event, Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has an idea as to what might be holding the home teams down as he told the media this afternoon:
Partying with the family.
“Well let’s just go with what’s going to happen at my house,” Babcock said. “My wife’s maiden name is Dunham and my kids say, ‘No one parties like a Dunham.’ So you can just imagine at my house tonight. That’s why a couple blocks down the road I got myself a hotel room. Because when 11 comes, they’re not going to care that the Winter Classic is tomorrow, they’re still going to be on time.
“So the home team has won one game. We went through this with our players. They know there’s an opportunity in our schedule for you to have a heck of a New Year’s Eve party on New Year’s Day. Make a decision, but if you’re counting on your family to do it for you, I don’t like your chances. That’s my theory.”
So basically, if you don’t want to wind up in Babcock’s doghouse, you’d better not show up bleary-eyed to Michigan Stadium on New Year’s Day. Also, if you really want to have a great party you have to hang out with the coach’s better half. Good to know.
Here’s video of the full presser from this afternoon:
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)