Dec 30, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
With a five-game losing streak and defeats in eight of their last nine games, the Carolina Hurricanes are looking to make changes. They made at least one small one on Monday, sending tough guy Kevin Westgarth to the Calgary Flames in exchange for Greg Nemisz.
Westgarth, 29, has nine points and 202 penalty minutes in 133 NHL games between the Hurricanes and Los Angeles Kings.
One might argue that Nemisz, 23, has the brighter future. He was the 25th pick of the 2008 NHL Draft, so perhaps there’s some potential there. He’s only managed one point in 15 NHL games between 2010-11 and 2011-12, so there’s also the possibility that he’ll mainly be a minor league player.
Again, the Canes might be looking to make some other moves, though.
Carolina GM Jim Rutherford vented his frustration about the team’s struggles to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer earlier today.
“It’s got to stop now. We need more to contribute,” Rutherford said. ” … A handful of players are not playing to their potential.”
It would be silly for the Hurricanes to put Westgarth in that underachieving group, so we’ll see if this is a prelude to more interesting transactions.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)