Dec 30, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin distinguishes himself by being one of the NHL’s hardest-hitting high-scorers. Sometimes it’s dangerous to even deliver a check on the big Russian, apparently, as Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil‘s night is over after a check on Ovi that seemed to go wrong for him instead.
(Video will be added if it becomes available.)
It’s been a rough year for Neil, 34, even though he’s toughed out some near-injuries, particularly taking more than one puck to the face.
Beyond missing the remainder of Monday’s contest, it’s unclear how serious this issue is for Neil. It might send a message to the rest of the league, though: check Ovechkin at your own risk.
Update: Ottawa took a 3-1 win against Washington without Neil in the mix for the rest of the game.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 6
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 38
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (39)