Dec 30, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin distinguishes himself by being one of the NHL’s hardest-hitting high-scorers. Sometimes it’s dangerous to even deliver a check on the big Russian, apparently, as Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil‘s night is over after a check on Ovi that seemed to go wrong for him instead.
(Video will be added if it becomes available.)
It’s been a rough year for Neil, 34, even though he’s toughed out some near-injuries, particularly taking more than one puck to the face.
Beyond missing the remainder of Monday’s contest, it’s unclear how serious this issue is for Neil. It might send a message to the rest of the league, though: check Ovechkin at your own risk.
Update: Ottawa took a 3-1 win against Washington without Neil in the mix for the rest of the game.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 19
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 10
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 35
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37