Dec 30, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin distinguishes himself by being one of the NHL’s hardest-hitting high-scorers. Sometimes it’s dangerous to even deliver a check on the big Russian, apparently, as Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil‘s night is over after a check on Ovi that seemed to go wrong for him instead.
(Video will be added if it becomes available.)
It’s been a rough year for Neil, 34, even though he’s toughed out some near-injuries, particularly taking more than one puck to the face.
Beyond missing the remainder of Monday’s contest, it’s unclear how serious this issue is for Neil. It might send a message to the rest of the league, though: check Ovechkin at your own risk.
Update: Ottawa took a 3-1 win against Washington without Neil in the mix for the rest of the game.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 13
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15