Dec 30, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin distinguishes himself by being one of the NHL’s hardest-hitting high-scorers. Sometimes it’s dangerous to even deliver a check on the big Russian, apparently, as Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil‘s night is over after a check on Ovi that seemed to go wrong for him instead.
(Video will be added if it becomes available.)
It’s been a rough year for Neil, 34, even though he’s toughed out some near-injuries, particularly taking more than one puck to the face.
Beyond missing the remainder of Monday’s contest, it’s unclear how serious this issue is for Neil. It might send a message to the rest of the league, though: check Ovechkin at your own risk.
Update: Ottawa took a 3-1 win against Washington without Neil in the mix for the rest of the game.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5