Dec 30, 2013, 8:43 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin distinguishes himself by being one of the NHL’s hardest-hitting high-scorers. Sometimes it’s dangerous to even deliver a check on the big Russian, apparently, as Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil‘s night is over after a check on Ovi that seemed to go wrong for him instead.
(Video will be added if it becomes available.)
It’s been a rough year for Neil, 34, even though he’s toughed out some near-injuries, particularly taking more than one puck to the face.
Beyond missing the remainder of Monday’s contest, it’s unclear how serious this issue is for Neil. It might send a message to the rest of the league, though: check Ovechkin at your own risk.
Update: Ottawa took a 3-1 win against Washington without Neil in the mix for the rest of the game.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)