Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain for the second consecutive game Monday, as Jason Spezza will sit against Washington with what’s believed to be a hip injury.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Sun:
The belief is it is a hip issue and the Senators want this dealt with so Spezza isn’t out for long-term.
“I think it just occurred so we’re trying to nip it in the bud much like we did with the thing earlier in the year in L.A. was before it gets chronic, let’s get it fixed,” said [Sens head coach Paul] MacLean.
Spezza, 30, had the injury flare up during Friday’s 5-0 blowout in Boston and sat for Saturday’s return match against the B’s in Ottawa — which the Sens won, 4-3.
Spezza, who sits third on the team in scoring with 30 points through 37 games, had hip issues during the 2005-06 campaign but his most recent health setbacks have been with his back — last year, he underwent surgery to correct a disc problem and missed 43 regular season games and the club’s first seven playoff contests.
In other Ottawa lineup news, veteran blueliner Chris Phillips will also sit tonight with a sore foot, suffered while blocking a shot on Saturday.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)