Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain for the second consecutive game Monday, as Jason Spezza will sit against Washington with what’s believed to be a hip injury.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Sun:
The belief is it is a hip issue and the Senators want this dealt with so Spezza isn’t out for long-term.
“I think it just occurred so we’re trying to nip it in the bud much like we did with the thing earlier in the year in L.A. was before it gets chronic, let’s get it fixed,” said [Sens head coach Paul] MacLean.
Spezza, 30, had the injury flare up during Friday’s 5-0 blowout in Boston and sat for Saturday’s return match against the B’s in Ottawa — which the Sens won, 4-3.
Spezza, who sits third on the team in scoring with 30 points through 37 games, had hip issues during the 2005-06 campaign but his most recent health setbacks have been with his back — last year, he underwent surgery to correct a disc problem and missed 43 regular season games and the club’s first seven playoff contests.
In other Ottawa lineup news, veteran blueliner Chris Phillips will also sit tonight with a sore foot, suffered while blocking a shot on Saturday.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)