Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain for the second consecutive game Monday, as Jason Spezza will sit against Washington with what’s believed to be a hip injury.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Sun:
The belief is it is a hip issue and the Senators want this dealt with so Spezza isn’t out for long-term.
“I think it just occurred so we’re trying to nip it in the bud much like we did with the thing earlier in the year in L.A. was before it gets chronic, let’s get it fixed,” said [Sens head coach Paul] MacLean.
Spezza, 30, had the injury flare up during Friday’s 5-0 blowout in Boston and sat for Saturday’s return match against the B’s in Ottawa — which the Sens won, 4-3.
Spezza, who sits third on the team in scoring with 30 points through 37 games, had hip issues during the 2005-06 campaign but his most recent health setbacks have been with his back — last year, he underwent surgery to correct a disc problem and missed 43 regular season games and the club’s first seven playoff contests.
In other Ottawa lineup news, veteran blueliner Chris Phillips will also sit tonight with a sore foot, suffered while blocking a shot on Saturday.
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 26
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 37
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 8
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)