Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain for the second consecutive game Monday, as Jason Spezza will sit against Washington with what’s believed to be a hip injury.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Sun:
The belief is it is a hip issue and the Senators want this dealt with so Spezza isn’t out for long-term.
“I think it just occurred so we’re trying to nip it in the bud much like we did with the thing earlier in the year in L.A. was before it gets chronic, let’s get it fixed,” said [Sens head coach Paul] MacLean.
Spezza, 30, had the injury flare up during Friday’s 5-0 blowout in Boston and sat for Saturday’s return match against the B’s in Ottawa — which the Sens won, 4-3.
Spezza, who sits third on the team in scoring with 30 points through 37 games, had hip issues during the 2005-06 campaign but his most recent health setbacks have been with his back — last year, he underwent surgery to correct a disc problem and missed 43 regular season games and the club’s first seven playoff contests.
In other Ottawa lineup news, veteran blueliner Chris Phillips will also sit tonight with a sore foot, suffered while blocking a shot on Saturday.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 4
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)