Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be without their captain for the second consecutive game Monday, as Jason Spezza will sit against Washington with what’s believed to be a hip injury.
Here’s more, from the Ottawa Sun:
The belief is it is a hip issue and the Senators want this dealt with so Spezza isn’t out for long-term.
“I think it just occurred so we’re trying to nip it in the bud much like we did with the thing earlier in the year in L.A. was before it gets chronic, let’s get it fixed,” said [Sens head coach Paul] MacLean.
Spezza, 30, had the injury flare up during Friday’s 5-0 blowout in Boston and sat for Saturday’s return match against the B’s in Ottawa — which the Sens won, 4-3.
Spezza, who sits third on the team in scoring with 30 points through 37 games, had hip issues during the 2005-06 campaign but his most recent health setbacks have been with his back — last year, he underwent surgery to correct a disc problem and missed 43 regular season games and the club’s first seven playoff contests.
In other Ottawa lineup news, veteran blueliner Chris Phillips will also sit tonight with a sore foot, suffered while blocking a shot on Saturday.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)