Dec 30, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
Both the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings have generally fared well despite losing big-money starting goalies to injuries, but Martin Jones has generated more headlines than his counterpart Antti Raanta.* Raanta stole the spotlight on Monday, however, as Chicago slipped by Los Angeles 1-0.
Brandon Saad‘s early first period goal ended up being the only tally of the game, as both netminders did their job tonight:
That’s the first shutout of Raanta’s career and Chicago’s first goose egg of the season.
It was a hard-hitting, tight game as the Kings made life difficult for the Blackhawks (45-30 hits, according to the box score), yet Chicago obviously got the last laugh.
The Blackhawks now have a seven-game point streak (5-0-2) and have mopped up points since Dec. 8 (8-1-2 in 11 games). On the other end, the Kings might worry a little bit about their offense drying up; Los Angeles is on a three-game losing streak in which the Kings have only scored four goals. All three of those contests ended in regulation, too.
(Just imagine if Jones wasn’t winning the goalie battles most nights …)
* – And with good reason, really, as Jones came into Monday’s match with a whopping .953 save percentage while Chicago might have been carrying Raanta, who had a mediocre .906 mark before tonight’s game.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)