Dec 30, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
From NBC News:
MOSCOW — At least 14 people were killed and 28 wounded when an explosion ripped through a trolley bus in the Russian city of Volgograd on Monday, the country’s third deadly attack in four days.
The explosion, which authorities blamed on a suicide bomber, tore out much of the electric bus’ exterior, left mangled bodies on the street and raised fears about more violence in the lead-up to the Sochi Winter Olympics that Russia will host in six weeks.
The Sochi Games are set to open Feb. 7, with Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin as one of the host country’s most high-profile athletes.
Today, Ovechkin expressed his sadness over the recent bombings.
“It’s awful. I don’t know why people doing that kind of stuff. I feel sorry about the families and the people who died in this is tragedy,” Ovechkin said, per the Washington Post. “When you hear this kind of situation happens to your home you just feel bad. I don’t know how to say it, people just live your life. Why you have to carry a bomb on you, push a button and destroy you and destroy everybody?”
At the same time, Ovechkin is confident that the the Games will be safe, thanks to all the security that will be in place.
“I’m sure Russian government is going to do everything that’s possible to protect the people and athletes there,” he said.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)