Dec 30, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
From NBC News:
MOSCOW — At least 14 people were killed and 28 wounded when an explosion ripped through a trolley bus in the Russian city of Volgograd on Monday, the country’s third deadly attack in four days.
The explosion, which authorities blamed on a suicide bomber, tore out much of the electric bus’ exterior, left mangled bodies on the street and raised fears about more violence in the lead-up to the Sochi Winter Olympics that Russia will host in six weeks.
The Sochi Games are set to open Feb. 7, with Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin as one of the host country’s most high-profile athletes.
Today, Ovechkin expressed his sadness over the recent bombings.
“It’s awful. I don’t know why people doing that kind of stuff. I feel sorry about the families and the people who died in this is tragedy,” Ovechkin said, per the Washington Post. “When you hear this kind of situation happens to your home you just feel bad. I don’t know how to say it, people just live your life. Why you have to carry a bomb on you, push a button and destroy you and destroy everybody?”
At the same time, Ovechkin is confident that the the Games will be safe, thanks to all the security that will be in place.
“I’m sure Russian government is going to do everything that’s possible to protect the people and athletes there,” he said.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)