Dec 30, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
From NBC News:
MOSCOW — At least 14 people were killed and 28 wounded when an explosion ripped through a trolley bus in the Russian city of Volgograd on Monday, the country’s third deadly attack in four days.
The explosion, which authorities blamed on a suicide bomber, tore out much of the electric bus’ exterior, left mangled bodies on the street and raised fears about more violence in the lead-up to the Sochi Winter Olympics that Russia will host in six weeks.
The Sochi Games are set to open Feb. 7, with Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin as one of the host country’s most high-profile athletes.
Today, Ovechkin expressed his sadness over the recent bombings.
“It’s awful. I don’t know why people doing that kind of stuff. I feel sorry about the families and the people who died in this is tragedy,” Ovechkin said, per the Washington Post. “When you hear this kind of situation happens to your home you just feel bad. I don’t know how to say it, people just live your life. Why you have to carry a bomb on you, push a button and destroy you and destroy everybody?”
At the same time, Ovechkin is confident that the the Games will be safe, thanks to all the security that will be in place.
“I’m sure Russian government is going to do everything that’s possible to protect the people and athletes there,” he said.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 5
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)