Dec 30, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
The good news is that the Detroit Red Wings look to be a healthier team headed into the 2014 Winter Classic. The bad news is that they won’t be 100 percent, though.
Johan Franzen has already been ruled out after failing to make much progress with a concussion while it’s hard not to wonder about Daniel Alfredsson, who sat out Monday’s game against the Nashville Predators with groin problems. Both accounts come from MLive.com’s Ansar Khan.
“Of course (it’s disappointing), but it is what it is,” Franzen said.
(“It is what it is” ranks up there as far as sad phrases go, probably alongside “I won’t be able to play in front of a gigantic crowd on an enormous stage.”)
It could just be that Alfredsson is playing it safe so that he can play on Wednesday, but either way, the Red Wings will be a little shorthanded against the Toronto Maple Leafs (who have problems of their own).
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)