Dec 30, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
The good news is that the Detroit Red Wings look to be a healthier team headed into the 2014 Winter Classic. The bad news is that they won’t be 100 percent, though.
Johan Franzen has already been ruled out after failing to make much progress with a concussion while it’s hard not to wonder about Daniel Alfredsson, who sat out Monday’s game against the Nashville Predators with groin problems. Both accounts come from MLive.com’s Ansar Khan.
“Of course (it’s disappointing), but it is what it is,” Franzen said.
(“It is what it is” ranks up there as far as sad phrases go, probably alongside “I won’t be able to play in front of a gigantic crowd on an enormous stage.”)
It could just be that Alfredsson is playing it safe so that he can play on Wednesday, but either way, the Red Wings will be a little shorthanded against the Toronto Maple Leafs (who have problems of their own).
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 54
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)