Dec 30, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
It’s been the year of the back-up goalie in the NHL. In fact, some of the above unheralded names — all of whom boast impressive statistics this season — are back-ups to the back-up. And in case you hadn’t already, now you can add another name: Eddie Lack of the Vancouver Canucks.
Lack shut out the Flames, 2-0, last night in Calgary, giving the 25-year-old Swede his second shutout of 2013-14 while lowering his goals-against to 1.74 and raising his save percentage to .933. Not bad for a guy who’d never played an NHL game before this season and was coming off hip surgery.
“The guys are playing awesome in front of me,” Lack said. “I can’t really complain about anything. I just want to keep it going.”
With Roberto Luongo expected to be out a week or so with an injury, Lack’s getting an opportunity to show his stuff. The Canucks have also recalled goalie Joacim Eriksson from the Utica Comets of the AHL.
Vancouver hosts Philadelphia tonight.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)