Dec 30, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
It’s been the year of the back-up goalie in the NHL. In fact, some of the above unheralded names — all of whom boast impressive statistics this season — are back-ups to the back-up. And in case you hadn’t already, now you can add another name: Eddie Lack of the Vancouver Canucks.
Lack shut out the Flames, 2-0, last night in Calgary, giving the 25-year-old Swede his second shutout of 2013-14 while lowering his goals-against to 1.74 and raising his save percentage to .933. Not bad for a guy who’d never played an NHL game before this season and was coming off hip surgery.
“The guys are playing awesome in front of me,” Lack said. “I can’t really complain about anything. I just want to keep it going.”
With Roberto Luongo expected to be out a week or so with an injury, Lack’s getting an opportunity to show his stuff. The Canucks have also recalled goalie Joacim Eriksson from the Utica Comets of the AHL.
Vancouver hosts Philadelphia tonight.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)