Dec 30, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
It’s been the year of the back-up goalie in the NHL. In fact, some of the above unheralded names — all of whom boast impressive statistics this season — are back-ups to the back-up. And in case you hadn’t already, now you can add another name: Eddie Lack of the Vancouver Canucks.
Lack shut out the Flames, 2-0, last night in Calgary, giving the 25-year-old Swede his second shutout of 2013-14 while lowering his goals-against to 1.74 and raising his save percentage to .933. Not bad for a guy who’d never played an NHL game before this season and was coming off hip surgery.
“The guys are playing awesome in front of me,” Lack said. “I can’t really complain about anything. I just want to keep it going.”
With Roberto Luongo expected to be out a week or so with an injury, Lack’s getting an opportunity to show his stuff. The Canucks have also recalled goalie Joacim Eriksson from the Utica Comets of the AHL.
Vancouver hosts Philadelphia tonight.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)