Dec 30, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
It’s been the year of the back-up goalie in the NHL. In fact, some of the above unheralded names — all of whom boast impressive statistics this season — are back-ups to the back-up. And in case you hadn’t already, now you can add another name: Eddie Lack of the Vancouver Canucks.
Lack shut out the Flames, 2-0, last night in Calgary, giving the 25-year-old Swede his second shutout of 2013-14 while lowering his goals-against to 1.74 and raising his save percentage to .933. Not bad for a guy who’d never played an NHL game before this season and was coming off hip surgery.
“The guys are playing awesome in front of me,” Lack said. “I can’t really complain about anything. I just want to keep it going.”
With Roberto Luongo expected to be out a week or so with an injury, Lack’s getting an opportunity to show his stuff. The Canucks have also recalled goalie Joacim Eriksson from the Utica Comets of the AHL.
Vancouver hosts Philadelphia tonight.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)