Dec 30, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
The larger international ice surface. Some believe it will be a major factor at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi. Some disagree, calling it much ado about, well, maybe not nothing, but not as much as some people are making it out to be.
It sounds like you can put Ken Hitchcock in the group that believes it’s a big factor. It won’t be like an NHL game over there, according to Team Canada’s associate coach.
“Size isn’t as relevant as it would be in a [game on a small ice surface],” Hitchcock told NHL.com. “We’re going to play against quicker players than we ever have played against before. We’re going to play against players that have great agility, great one-on-one skills. We’re going to see lineups that are different than we would play in North America.
“The game in Vancouver [2010 Olympics] was very much an NHL game. It felt like an NHL game and it looked like an NHL game, but it’s going to be different in Europe because we’re going to play against more quickness, more agility than we have ever seen in our lives.”
How the bigger ice surface affects Canada’s roster decisions remains to be seen. Hitchcock’s comments wouldn’t seem to bode well for a player like Boston’s Milan Lucic, a big, physical winger not known for his beautiful skating.
Once all the rosters are set and the tournament starts, it will be interesting to see the difference in style compared to 2010, when Canada was able to employ a punishing forecheck, led by the likes of Brenden Morrow.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)