Dec 30, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
It’s cold. That’s the first thing that should be mentioned. According to the Weather Network, it’s 19F, which equates to -7C. For Wednesday’s Winter Classic, it’s supposed to be around the same temperature, with a good chance of some snow.
Fortunately there’s a warm media room adjacent to the stadium, which is where we are now. Halford is sitting behind me. He forgot his gloves at the hotel, so I had to go out and get some shots of the set-up.
My first thought when I walked into the home of the Wolverines was, wow, so this is where Appalachian State shocked the world. My second thought was that the view of the rink isn’t half bad. I think the people who have tickets will be pleasantly surprised with how well they can see the action and pick up the puck. (Assuming it’s not a blizzard.)
Here’s a shot I took from the top row:
And remember, it always seems a bit further away when you look at a picture.
As for the city of Ann Arbor, it’s still pretty quiet. Most of the students are on break and we’ve only seen a few Red Wings and Maple Leafs fans.
If you’re attending the game, I recommend you read this about the parking situation, because it’s going to be a challenge with over 100,000 expected. Yes, they get that regularly for football games, but a good chuck of the crowd is students, who don’t have to drive since they live on or near campus.
OK, I’m off to get a hot chocolate.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)