Dec 30, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Caps ride Grubauer
The Philipp Grubauer show will continue on Monday when the Caps take on the Sens in Ottawa.
Grubauer will make his fourth straight start tonight, one night after stopping 16 of 17 shots in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Sabres. On the year, the German ‘tender is now 5-1-2 with a 2.02 GAA and .937 save percentage and has temporarily taken Washington’s No. 1 gig away from Braden Holtby — in a domino effect, Grubauer’s ascension has also forced the hand of third-stringer Michal Neuvirth, who is requesting a trade out of Washington.
In related news, Craig Anderson will get the start for Ottawa.
Flyers go with Mason
Steve Mason will make his third straight start — and look for his third straight win — when Philly takes on the Canucks tonight in Vancouver. Mason has won each of his last two outings, a 4-1 victory over Minnesota and Saturday’s 4-3 shootout win over Edmonton.
Red Wings at Predators: Jimmy Howard is in for Detroit, still no word on who Nashville will go with in goal.
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 15
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 99
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115