Dec 30, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Caps ride Grubauer
The Philipp Grubauer show will continue on Monday when the Caps take on the Sens in Ottawa.
Grubauer will make his fourth straight start tonight, one night after stopping 16 of 17 shots in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Sabres. On the year, the German ‘tender is now 5-1-2 with a 2.02 GAA and .937 save percentage and has temporarily taken Washington’s No. 1 gig away from Braden Holtby — in a domino effect, Grubauer’s ascension has also forced the hand of third-stringer Michal Neuvirth, who is requesting a trade out of Washington.
In related news, Craig Anderson will get the start for Ottawa.
Flyers go with Mason
Steve Mason will make his third straight start — and look for his third straight win — when Philly takes on the Canucks tonight in Vancouver. Mason has won each of his last two outings, a 4-1 victory over Minnesota and Saturday’s 4-3 shootout win over Edmonton.
Red Wings at Predators: Jimmy Howard is in for Detroit, still no word on who Nashville will go with in goal.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28