Dec 30, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Caps ride Grubauer
The Philipp Grubauer show will continue on Monday when the Caps take on the Sens in Ottawa.
Grubauer will make his fourth straight start tonight, one night after stopping 16 of 17 shots in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Sabres. On the year, the German ‘tender is now 5-1-2 with a 2.02 GAA and .937 save percentage and has temporarily taken Washington’s No. 1 gig away from Braden Holtby — in a domino effect, Grubauer’s ascension has also forced the hand of third-stringer Michal Neuvirth, who is requesting a trade out of Washington.
In related news, Craig Anderson will get the start for Ottawa.
Flyers go with Mason
Steve Mason will make his third straight start — and look for his third straight win — when Philly takes on the Canucks tonight in Vancouver. Mason has won each of his last two outings, a 4-1 victory over Minnesota and Saturday’s 4-3 shootout win over Edmonton.
Red Wings at Predators: Jimmy Howard is in for Detroit, still no word on who Nashville will go with in goal.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 34
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)