Dec 30, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Chicago Blackhawks hosting the Los Angeles Kings starting at 8 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
- The Blackhawks host the Kings in the second of three meetings this season (Chicago won 3-1 at home on Dec. 15) after having eliminated LA in June in the Western Conference Final.
- Tonight’s game pits the league’s highest-scoring team (Chicago: 153 goals (3.73/game), 0 times shut out) against the league’s stingiest team (Los Angeles, 77 goals allowed (1.97/game), league-leading 7 shutouts). The Blackhawks however have also surrendered 110 goals – their games are by a wide margin the highest-scoring in the NHL, while the Kings are at the opposite end of that list.
TEAM & OPP GPG TEAM GOAL DIFF.
1. Blackhawks 6.41 +43 (t-1st in NHL)
2. Senators 5.93 -15
3. Coyotes 5.92 -1
28. Kings 4.59 +25 (7th in NHL)
29. Sabres 4.49 -43
- The Blackhawks have an NHL-high six players with 10+ goals this season; Patrick Kane (23), Patrick Sharp (22), Jonathan Toews (15), Marian Hossa (14), Brandon Saad (13), Andrew Shaw (11).
- Kane is in the midst of a career-best 14-game point streak (8 goals, 17 assists) since Nov. 30 (2nd longest streak in NHL this season – Ryan Getzlaf, ANA, 16), and has at least one point in 26 of his last 27 games. His team-leading 53 points and 23 goals rank 2nd recorded 50 or more points in each of his seven NHL seasons.
- ‘Hawks goalie Corey Crawford (lower-body injury) has been out since Dec. 8; he lead the NHL with 17 wins at the time. Rookie Antti Raanta is 6-1-2 in his absence and has allowed 2 goals or fewer in 12 of 13 games this season before giving up 5 goals on 25 shots in Sat. 6-5 SO loss at STL.
- Similarly, Kings netminder Jonathan Quick has been sidelined with a groin injury since Nov. 12; freshman Martin Jones (8-1-0, 1.31 GAA, 3 SO this season) & Ben Scrivens (7-4-4, 1.76 GAA, 3 SO) have filled the void. Jones won his first 8 NHL starts to tie a league record set by the Flyers’ Bob Froese in 1982-83. The Kings however have lost their last two games (5-2 on Dec. 23 vs DAL & 3-2 on Dec. 28 at NSH). LA last lost 3 straight games from Jan. 19-24 when they went 0-2-1 to open last season.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)