Dec 30, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
It was one of those things that only seems to happen to guys like Marian Gaborik: in his first game back from a knee injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets sniper suffered a broken collarbone on Dec. 21. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Gaborik underwent surgery for that injury on Christmas Eve and faces an uncertain rehab process, as his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics is questionable.
Specifically, Portzline reports that Gaborik’s surgery placed a “stabilizing plate and screws” into his damaged collarbone.
Here’s video of the Zac Rinaldo hit that caused the 31-year-old’s latest malady:
For most of his career, Gaborik has been equally known for his speed, deadly shot and bad injury luck. The past season or so provides a sad testament to the latter, as Portzline captures:
Been a tough run for Gaborik. Had off-season abdominal surgery, played 17 games, hurt knee, played four shifts, broke collarbone.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) December 30, 2013
Blue Jackets president John Davidson described Gaborik as “devastated” by this recent injury. It’s not just that his Olympic outlook is in question, as the winger also just got back from that knee ailment.
It all might come down to Columbus’ team doctors, as they have the final say in his medical clearance, Portzline reports.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)