Dec 30, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
It was one of those things that only seems to happen to guys like Marian Gaborik: in his first game back from a knee injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets sniper suffered a broken collarbone on Dec. 21. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Gaborik underwent surgery for that injury on Christmas Eve and faces an uncertain rehab process, as his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics is questionable.
Specifically, Portzline reports that Gaborik’s surgery placed a “stabilizing plate and screws” into his damaged collarbone.
Here’s video of the Zac Rinaldo hit that caused the 31-year-old’s latest malady:
For most of his career, Gaborik has been equally known for his speed, deadly shot and bad injury luck. The past season or so provides a sad testament to the latter, as Portzline captures:
Been a tough run for Gaborik. Had off-season abdominal surgery, played 17 games, hurt knee, played four shifts, broke collarbone.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) December 30, 2013
Blue Jackets president John Davidson described Gaborik as “devastated” by this recent injury. It’s not just that his Olympic outlook is in question, as the winger also just got back from that knee ailment.
It all might come down to Columbus’ team doctors, as they have the final say in his medical clearance, Portzline reports.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)