Dec 30, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
It was one of those things that only seems to happen to guys like Marian Gaborik: in his first game back from a knee injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets sniper suffered a broken collarbone on Dec. 21. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Gaborik underwent surgery for that injury on Christmas Eve and faces an uncertain rehab process, as his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics is questionable.
Specifically, Portzline reports that Gaborik’s surgery placed a “stabilizing plate and screws” into his damaged collarbone.
Here’s video of the Zac Rinaldo hit that caused the 31-year-old’s latest malady:
For most of his career, Gaborik has been equally known for his speed, deadly shot and bad injury luck. The past season or so provides a sad testament to the latter, as Portzline captures:
Been a tough run for Gaborik. Had off-season abdominal surgery, played 17 games, hurt knee, played four shifts, broke collarbone.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) December 30, 2013
Blue Jackets president John Davidson described Gaborik as “devastated” by this recent injury. It’s not just that his Olympic outlook is in question, as the winger also just got back from that knee ailment.
It all might come down to Columbus’ team doctors, as they have the final say in his medical clearance, Portzline reports.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)