Dec 30, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT
It was one of those things that only seems to happen to guys like Marian Gaborik: in his first game back from a knee injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets sniper suffered a broken collarbone on Dec. 21. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Gaborik underwent surgery for that injury on Christmas Eve and faces an uncertain rehab process, as his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics is questionable.
Specifically, Portzline reports that Gaborik’s surgery placed a “stabilizing plate and screws” into his damaged collarbone.
Here’s video of the Zac Rinaldo hit that caused the 31-year-old’s latest malady:
For most of his career, Gaborik has been equally known for his speed, deadly shot and bad injury luck. The past season or so provides a sad testament to the latter, as Portzline captures:
Been a tough run for Gaborik. Had off-season abdominal surgery, played 17 games, hurt knee, played four shifts, broke collarbone.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) December 30, 2013
Blue Jackets president John Davidson described Gaborik as “devastated” by this recent injury. It’s not just that his Olympic outlook is in question, as the winger also just got back from that knee ailment.
It all might come down to Columbus’ team doctors, as they have the final say in his medical clearance, Portzline reports.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)