Dec 30, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
It was one of those things that only seems to happen to guys like Marian Gaborik: in his first game back from a knee injury, the Columbus Blue Jackets sniper suffered a broken collarbone on Dec. 21. The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that Gaborik underwent surgery for that injury on Christmas Eve and faces an uncertain rehab process, as his involvement in the 2014 Winter Olympics is questionable.
Specifically, Portzline reports that Gaborik’s surgery placed a “stabilizing plate and screws” into his damaged collarbone.
Here’s video of the Zac Rinaldo hit that caused the 31-year-old’s latest malady:
For most of his career, Gaborik has been equally known for his speed, deadly shot and bad injury luck. The past season or so provides a sad testament to the latter, as Portzline captures:
Been a tough run for Gaborik. Had off-season abdominal surgery, played 17 games, hurt knee, played four shifts, broke collarbone.
— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) December 30, 2013
Blue Jackets president John Davidson described Gaborik as “devastated” by this recent injury. It’s not just that his Olympic outlook is in question, as the winger also just got back from that knee ailment.
It all might come down to Columbus’ team doctors, as they have the final say in his medical clearance, Portzline reports.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)