Dec 30, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins met with the media on Monday following the decision to make Nail Yakupov a healthy scratch against Phoenix on Tuesday, explaining that Yakupov had to “earn” his spot in the lineup.
“You’ve got to earn it,” Eakins said, per the Oilers website. “You’ve got to do a number of things on the ice every day. Every day. It can never change.
“We cannot give things to people. You have to earn them.”
Eakins said he and Yakupov met for approximately 45 minutes on Monday — a “long, in-depth” talk that Eakins figured was the longest he’s had with a player this year — and said the two addressed some issues.
“Him and I have sorted out a few things,” Eakins explained. “It was a good conversation — at least it ended well. We have a definite plan moving forward.”
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)