Dec 30, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins met with the media on Monday following the decision to make Nail Yakupov a healthy scratch against Phoenix on Tuesday, explaining that Yakupov had to “earn” his spot in the lineup.
“You’ve got to earn it,” Eakins said, per the Oilers website. “You’ve got to do a number of things on the ice every day. Every day. It can never change.
“We cannot give things to people. You have to earn them.”
Eakins said he and Yakupov met for approximately 45 minutes on Monday — a “long, in-depth” talk that Eakins figured was the longest he’s had with a player this year — and said the two addressed some issues.
“Him and I have sorted out a few things,” Eakins explained. “It was a good conversation — at least it ended well. We have a definite plan moving forward.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)