Dec 30, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
Brule, 26, finds himself in an awkward position bouncing between the AHL and NHL. He’s been productive in Portland (12 points in 11 games) but hasn’t been able to find his game with the Coyotes this season, failing to score a point in three games.
Jaime Eisner of Coyotes blog Five for Howling points out that Brule nearly signed with the KHL weeks ago before hashing things out with Phoenix and wonders if Brule’s days with both the Coyotes organization and the NHL are over. (At least for the near future.)
However things shake out, this isn’t the path Brule probably envisioned for his hockey career. The Columbus Blue Jackets selected him sixth overall in the 2005 NHL Draft; at the moment, it seems like he may join Nikita Filatov and Nik Zherdev as Columbus first-rounders who struggled to find their place in North America.
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 20
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 10
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 35
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79