Dec 29, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils haven’t done a great job backing goaltender Cory Schneider this season. He won just four of his first 17 starts, but it’s hard to judge him too harshly for that when the Devils have only scored three or more goals in three of his contests this season.
Saturday’s game against the New York Islanders wasn’t shaping up to be any better. Schneider held a 1-0 lead for the better part of the contest before he finally conceded it midway through the third period.
Travis Zajac took some of the blame for the goal as it started with a turnover by him. As fate would have it though, he undid the damage with an unusual goal:
Zajac called it a “stinger,” but felt a bit better afterward. He was also happy about it because it meant Schneider got a win.
“He’s been battling hard and he deserved that one (Saturday night),” Zajac added, according to the Bergen Record.
Schneider is still just 5-8-5 this season, but he’s been better than that record suggests.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)