Dec 29, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils haven’t done a great job backing goaltender Cory Schneider this season. He won just four of his first 17 starts, but it’s hard to judge him too harshly for that when the Devils have only scored three or more goals in three of his contests this season.
Saturday’s game against the New York Islanders wasn’t shaping up to be any better. Schneider held a 1-0 lead for the better part of the contest before he finally conceded it midway through the third period.
Travis Zajac took some of the blame for the goal as it started with a turnover by him. As fate would have it though, he undid the damage with an unusual goal:
Zajac called it a “stinger,” but felt a bit better afterward. He was also happy about it because it meant Schneider got a win.
“He’s been battling hard and he deserved that one (Saturday night),” Zajac added, according to the Bergen Record.
Schneider is still just 5-8-5 this season, but he’s been better than that record suggests.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 42
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 33
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22