Dec 29, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT
Let’s take a quick look at Sunday’s two games from the 2014 World Hockey Championships, shall we? (Hopefully you aren’t clamoring for close ones …)
Vince Hinostroza (Chicago Blackhawks sixth-rounder [169th in 2012]) scored two goals and two assists to lead the U.S. scorers on Sunday. Matthew Grzelyck (Boston Bruins third-rounder [85th overall in 2012]) was the second most prolific scorer with a goal and two assists while several other American players notched a point or two. Meanwhile, Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia Flyers second-rounder [45th overall in 2012]) cruised to a 15-save shutout.
On Germany’s side, Leon Draisaitl collected 25 penalty minutes while Patrick Klein (six goals allowed on 35 shots) and Kevin Reich (16 out of 18 saves) shared the misery in net.
Sweden boasts more prominent prospects, which might partially explain an even more one-sided bout.
First-rounders made it happen as Andre Burakovsky (23rd overall by the Washington Capitals in 2013) had a hat trick, Elias Lindholm (fifth pick by Carolina Hurricanes in 2013) had a goal and two assists and Filip Forsberg (11th overall by Washington in 2012, now with the Nashville Predators) collected three assists.
Forsberg, 19, is enjoying his sabbatical from the NHL, as he’s tied for first among point producers with seven in three games.
Marcus Hogberg (Ottawa Senators third-rounder [78th overall in 2013]) got the easy 13-save shutout.
Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Can they compromise by Tuesday?
Jul 26, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Positive updates following a scary situation.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Dominic Moore spearheaded it, but Stephane Veilleux dominated.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The player wants $4.95 million; New York argues for $3.825 million.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
He was one of the team’s most frequent hitters in 2014-15.
Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Nathan Walker spent the 2013-14 campaign in the AHL.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
That wasn’t the case when he began his career.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
He was taken with the fourth overall pick.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”
Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”
Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)