Dec 29, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT
Let’s take a quick look at Sunday’s two games from the 2014 World Hockey Championships, shall we? (Hopefully you aren’t clamoring for close ones …)
Vince Hinostroza (Chicago Blackhawks sixth-rounder [169th in 2012]) scored two goals and two assists to lead the U.S. scorers on Sunday. Matthew Grzelyck (Boston Bruins third-rounder [85th overall in 2012]) was the second most prolific scorer with a goal and two assists while several other American players notched a point or two. Meanwhile, Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia Flyers second-rounder [45th overall in 2012]) cruised to a 15-save shutout.
On Germany’s side, Leon Draisaitl collected 25 penalty minutes while Patrick Klein (six goals allowed on 35 shots) and Kevin Reich (16 out of 18 saves) shared the misery in net.
Sweden boasts more prominent prospects, which might partially explain an even more one-sided bout.
First-rounders made it happen as Andre Burakovsky (23rd overall by the Washington Capitals in 2013) had a hat trick, Elias Lindholm (fifth pick by Carolina Hurricanes in 2013) had a goal and two assists and Filip Forsberg (11th overall by Washington in 2012, now with the Nashville Predators) collected three assists.
Forsberg, 19, is enjoying his sabbatical from the NHL, as he’s tied for first among point producers with seven in three games.
Marcus Hogberg (Ottawa Senators third-rounder [78th overall in 2013]) got the easy 13-save shutout.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)