Dec 29, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT
Let’s take a quick look at Sunday’s two games from the 2014 World Hockey Championships, shall we? (Hopefully you aren’t clamoring for close ones …)
Vince Hinostroza (Chicago Blackhawks sixth-rounder [169th in 2012]) scored two goals and two assists to lead the U.S. scorers on Sunday. Matthew Grzelyck (Boston Bruins third-rounder [85th overall in 2012]) was the second most prolific scorer with a goal and two assists while several other American players notched a point or two. Meanwhile, Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia Flyers second-rounder [45th overall in 2012]) cruised to a 15-save shutout.
On Germany’s side, Leon Draisaitl collected 25 penalty minutes while Patrick Klein (six goals allowed on 35 shots) and Kevin Reich (16 out of 18 saves) shared the misery in net.
Sweden boasts more prominent prospects, which might partially explain an even more one-sided bout.
First-rounders made it happen as Andre Burakovsky (23rd overall by the Washington Capitals in 2013) had a hat trick, Elias Lindholm (fifth pick by Carolina Hurricanes in 2013) had a goal and two assists and Filip Forsberg (11th overall by Washington in 2012, now with the Nashville Predators) collected three assists.
Forsberg, 19, is enjoying his sabbatical from the NHL, as he’s tied for first among point producers with seven in three games.
Marcus Hogberg (Ottawa Senators third-rounder [78th overall in 2013]) got the easy 13-save shutout.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Some depth for the Bolts.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
He shared his story (and struggles) this past week.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
It may leave them in a “cap vise.”
Jul 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
That doesn’t guarantee that a hearing would take place, though.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Brandon Dubinsky is the latest to pipe up.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Vancouver started its development camp this weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
His offensive totals were down, but was regularly used on penalty kill.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Spent most of the 2014-15 season in the OHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
They had agreed to terms last weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)