Dec 29, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT
Let’s take a quick look at Sunday’s two games from the 2014 World Hockey Championships, shall we? (Hopefully you aren’t clamoring for close ones …)
Vince Hinostroza (Chicago Blackhawks sixth-rounder [169th in 2012]) scored two goals and two assists to lead the U.S. scorers on Sunday. Matthew Grzelyck (Boston Bruins third-rounder [85th overall in 2012]) was the second most prolific scorer with a goal and two assists while several other American players notched a point or two. Meanwhile, Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia Flyers second-rounder [45th overall in 2012]) cruised to a 15-save shutout.
On Germany’s side, Leon Draisaitl collected 25 penalty minutes while Patrick Klein (six goals allowed on 35 shots) and Kevin Reich (16 out of 18 saves) shared the misery in net.
Sweden boasts more prominent prospects, which might partially explain an even more one-sided bout.
First-rounders made it happen as Andre Burakovsky (23rd overall by the Washington Capitals in 2013) had a hat trick, Elias Lindholm (fifth pick by Carolina Hurricanes in 2013) had a goal and two assists and Filip Forsberg (11th overall by Washington in 2012, now with the Nashville Predators) collected three assists.
Forsberg, 19, is enjoying his sabbatical from the NHL, as he’s tied for first among point producers with seven in three games.
Marcus Hogberg (Ottawa Senators third-rounder [78th overall in 2013]) got the easy 13-save shutout.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)