Dec 29, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT
Let’s take a quick look at Sunday’s two games from the 2014 World Hockey Championships, shall we? (Hopefully you aren’t clamoring for close ones …)
Vince Hinostroza (Chicago Blackhawks sixth-rounder [169th in 2012]) scored two goals and two assists to lead the U.S. scorers on Sunday. Matthew Grzelyck (Boston Bruins third-rounder [85th overall in 2012]) was the second most prolific scorer with a goal and two assists while several other American players notched a point or two. Meanwhile, Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia Flyers second-rounder [45th overall in 2012]) cruised to a 15-save shutout.
On Germany’s side, Leon Draisaitl collected 25 penalty minutes while Patrick Klein (six goals allowed on 35 shots) and Kevin Reich (16 out of 18 saves) shared the misery in net.
Sweden boasts more prominent prospects, which might partially explain an even more one-sided bout.
First-rounders made it happen as Andre Burakovsky (23rd overall by the Washington Capitals in 2013) had a hat trick, Elias Lindholm (fifth pick by Carolina Hurricanes in 2013) had a goal and two assists and Filip Forsberg (11th overall by Washington in 2012, now with the Nashville Predators) collected three assists.
Forsberg, 19, is enjoying his sabbatical from the NHL, as he’s tied for first among point producers with seven in three games.
Marcus Hogberg (Ottawa Senators third-rounder [78th overall in 2013]) got the easy 13-save shutout.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)