Dec 29, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have a daunting task ahead of them tonight as they look to end the Anaheim Ducks winning streak at 10 games. In preparation for that, Sharks coach Todd McLellan has shaken up the team’s lines, according to CSN Bay Area.
The trio of Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns, and Joe Thornton has been great so they’ll stick together. However, that line was formed by bumping up Pavelski when rookie Tomas Hertl suffered a major knee injury. So while it’s worked out, it also made the Sharks more top heavy.
They’re hoping that another rookie in Matt Nieto can help alleviate that. The most noteworthy change from McLellan’s shakeup was moving Nieto to a line with Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau. Nieto, 21, has just six points in 26 games this season, but he’s also been averaging a mere 11:44 minutes per contest.
“If I am [on that line], obviously I’ll try to make the most of it,” Nieto said. “It’s a good opportunity for myself. I’ll work hard, and try to support those guys.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)