Dec 29, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have a daunting task ahead of them tonight as they look to end the Anaheim Ducks winning streak at 10 games. In preparation for that, Sharks coach Todd McLellan has shaken up the team’s lines, according to CSN Bay Area.
The trio of Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns, and Joe Thornton has been great so they’ll stick together. However, that line was formed by bumping up Pavelski when rookie Tomas Hertl suffered a major knee injury. So while it’s worked out, it also made the Sharks more top heavy.
They’re hoping that another rookie in Matt Nieto can help alleviate that. The most noteworthy change from McLellan’s shakeup was moving Nieto to a line with Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau. Nieto, 21, has just six points in 26 games this season, but he’s also been averaging a mere 11:44 minutes per contest.
“If I am [on that line], obviously I’ll try to make the most of it,” Nieto said. “It’s a good opportunity for myself. I’ll work hard, and try to support those guys.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)