Dec 29, 2013, 1:58 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks have a daunting task ahead of them tonight as they look to end the Anaheim Ducks winning streak at 10 games. In preparation for that, Sharks coach Todd McLellan has shaken up the team’s lines, according to CSN Bay Area.
The trio of Joe Pavelski, Brent Burns, and Joe Thornton has been great so they’ll stick together. However, that line was formed by bumping up Pavelski when rookie Tomas Hertl suffered a major knee injury. So while it’s worked out, it also made the Sharks more top heavy.
They’re hoping that another rookie in Matt Nieto can help alleviate that. The most noteworthy change from McLellan’s shakeup was moving Nieto to a line with Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau. Nieto, 21, has just six points in 26 games this season, but he’s also been averaging a mere 11:44 minutes per contest.
“If I am [on that line], obviously I’ll try to make the most of it,” Nieto said. “It’s a good opportunity for myself. I’ll work hard, and try to support those guys.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)