Dec 29, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Calgary Flames enforcer Brian McGrattan received two five-minute majors (one for fighting, one for elbowing) and a 10-minute misconduct after delivering a high hit on Vancouver Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts and then immediately dropping the gloves with Tom Sestito.
Here’s video of the hit (H/T to Kukla’s Korner):
There hasn’t been an update on Alberts as of this writing. He hasn’t returned to the game.
Update: John Tortorella says Alberts is day-to-day and that’s that. The Canucks ended up winning 1-0 tonight.
Despite being one of the NHL’s most fearsome fighters, McGrattan hasn’t been suspended at this level. That may change thanks to this incident.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)