Dec 29, 2013, 9:09 PM EST
Calgary Flames enforcer Brian McGrattan received two five-minute majors (one for fighting, one for elbowing) and a 10-minute misconduct after delivering a high hit on Vancouver Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts and then immediately dropping the gloves with Tom Sestito.
Here’s video of the hit (H/T to Kukla’s Korner):
There hasn’t been an update on Alberts as of this writing. He hasn’t returned to the game.
Update: John Tortorella says Alberts is day-to-day and that’s that. The Canucks ended up winning 1-0 tonight.
Despite being one of the NHL’s most fearsome fighters, McGrattan hasn’t been suspended at this level. That may change thanks to this incident.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12