Dec 29, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT
Calgary Flames enforcer Brian McGrattan received two five-minute majors (one for fighting, one for elbowing) and a 10-minute misconduct after delivering a high hit on Vancouver Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts and then immediately dropping the gloves with Tom Sestito.
Here’s video of the hit (H/T to Kukla’s Korner):
There hasn’t been an update on Alberts as of this writing. He hasn’t returned to the game.
Update: John Tortorella says Alberts is day-to-day and that’s that. The Canucks ended up winning 1-0 tonight.
Despite being one of the NHL’s most fearsome fighters, McGrattan hasn’t been suspended at this level. That may change thanks to this incident.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50