Dec 29, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
San Jose forward Raffi Torres has already missed three months since he sustained an ACL injury during a preseason contest, but he won’t be able to rejoin the Sharks in the near future.
“I’m just trying to stay around 60 percent,” Torres told CSN Bay Area.
The 32-year-old has been skating in addition to his off-ice exercises, but he can’t push himself too hard without being sore for days afterwards.
He’s one of the most controversial players in the league, but he excelled with San Jose after he was acquired during the shortened campaign. He had six points and 38 hits while only accumulating four penalty minutes in 11 contests with the Sharks last season.
Torres was handed another suspension for his high hit on Los Angeles’ Jarret Stoll during the 2013 playoffs, but the Sharks strongly defended him and still inked him to a three-year, $6 million contract.
He hasn’t played in a regular season contest since signing that deal, but he remains optimistic about his chances of playing this season.
“Today, yeah, I’d say I come back this year, for sure,” he said.
He just doesn’t want to make any predictions on when that might be.
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 2
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 3
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 5
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)