Dec 29, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
San Jose forward Raffi Torres has already missed three months since he sustained an ACL injury during a preseason contest, but he won’t be able to rejoin the Sharks in the near future.
“I’m just trying to stay around 60 percent,” Torres told CSN Bay Area.
The 32-year-old has been skating in addition to his off-ice exercises, but he can’t push himself too hard without being sore for days afterwards.
He’s one of the most controversial players in the league, but he excelled with San Jose after he was acquired during the shortened campaign. He had six points and 38 hits while only accumulating four penalty minutes in 11 contests with the Sharks last season.
Torres was handed another suspension for his high hit on Los Angeles’ Jarret Stoll during the 2013 playoffs, but the Sharks strongly defended him and still inked him to a three-year, $6 million contract.
He hasn’t played in a regular season contest since signing that deal, but he remains optimistic about his chances of playing this season.
“Today, yeah, I’d say I come back this year, for sure,” he said.
He just doesn’t want to make any predictions on when that might be.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 36
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 54
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 88
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)