Dec 29, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Islanders have to be relieved that Tavares’ lower-body injury didn’t turn out to be anything serious. As it is they’re 11-21-7 this season and are averaging just 2.38 goals per game. Losing Tavares for an extended period of time would have killed what little hope they still have of making the playoffs.
Without him, the Islanders suffered a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils last night.
Even with the team struggling offensively, Tavares has managed to scored 13 goals and 39 points in 38 games this season. In other words, this is shaping up to be his third straight campaign of averaging roughly a point per game.
After tonight’s match, the Islanders will head to Boston to play on Tuesday and complete their stretch of three games in four nights.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)