Dec 29, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Islanders have to be relieved that Tavares’ lower-body injury didn’t turn out to be anything serious. As it is they’re 11-21-7 this season and are averaging just 2.38 goals per game. Losing Tavares for an extended period of time would have killed what little hope they still have of making the playoffs.
Without him, the Islanders suffered a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils last night.
Even with the team struggling offensively, Tavares has managed to scored 13 goals and 39 points in 38 games this season. In other words, this is shaping up to be his third straight campaign of averaging roughly a point per game.
After tonight’s match, the Islanders will head to Boston to play on Tuesday and complete their stretch of three games in four nights.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8