Dec 29, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Islanders have to be relieved that Tavares’ lower-body injury didn’t turn out to be anything serious. As it is they’re 11-21-7 this season and are averaging just 2.38 goals per game. Losing Tavares for an extended period of time would have killed what little hope they still have of making the playoffs.
Without him, the Islanders suffered a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils last night.
Even with the team struggling offensively, Tavares has managed to scored 13 goals and 39 points in 38 games this season. In other words, this is shaping up to be his third straight campaign of averaging roughly a point per game.
After tonight’s match, the Islanders will head to Boston to play on Tuesday and complete their stretch of three games in four nights.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 14
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 7
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)