Dec 29, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Islanders have to be relieved that Tavares’ lower-body injury didn’t turn out to be anything serious. As it is they’re 11-21-7 this season and are averaging just 2.38 goals per game. Losing Tavares for an extended period of time would have killed what little hope they still have of making the playoffs.
Without him, the Islanders suffered a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils last night.
Even with the team struggling offensively, Tavares has managed to scored 13 goals and 39 points in 38 games this season. In other words, this is shaping up to be his third straight campaign of averaging roughly a point per game.
After tonight’s match, the Islanders will head to Boston to play on Tuesday and complete their stretch of three games in four nights.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32