Dec 29, 2013, 8:08 PM EDT
If the top goalie spot on the U.S. Olympic team really will come down to Ryan Miller vs. Jonathan Quick, then the Buffalo Sabres goalie is making a strong argument in favor of an encore performance from his dazzling silver medal work from 2010.
Miller made a career-high 49 saves to steal a 2-1 shootout win for his Buffalo Sabres on Sunday, topping the Washington Capitals in impressive fashion. (NHL.com’s Brian Compton described it as arguably the best goalie performance of the 2013-14 season so far.)
At times, it seemed like Miller willed the American team to victories during that impressive run in Vancouver. U.S. fans may be delighted to know that the 33-year-old has responded well to the toughest challenges this season … and no, that’s not just a jab at playing for the struggling Sabres.
With a career-high 49 saves today, Ryan Miller is now 3-0-0 in games in which he faced 50 or more shots (11/5/13 at SJS and 1/8/10 vs. TOR).
— Sabres PR (@SabresPR) December 30, 2013
Miller now has a five-game point streak going (4-0-1) as he continues to be a go-to guy for a Buffalo franchise that lacks many (if any) other dependable performers.
It could be another special run for Miller, who happens to have a ton of money on the line in a contract year, too.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)