Dec 29, 2013, 8:08 PM EDT
If the top goalie spot on the U.S. Olympic team really will come down to Ryan Miller vs. Jonathan Quick, then the Buffalo Sabres goalie is making a strong argument in favor of an encore performance from his dazzling silver medal work from 2010.
Miller made a career-high 49 saves to steal a 2-1 shootout win for his Buffalo Sabres on Sunday, topping the Washington Capitals in impressive fashion. (NHL.com’s Brian Compton described it as arguably the best goalie performance of the 2013-14 season so far.)
At times, it seemed like Miller willed the American team to victories during that impressive run in Vancouver. U.S. fans may be delighted to know that the 33-year-old has responded well to the toughest challenges this season … and no, that’s not just a jab at playing for the struggling Sabres.
With a career-high 49 saves today, Ryan Miller is now 3-0-0 in games in which he faced 50 or more shots (11/5/13 at SJS and 1/8/10 vs. TOR).
— Sabres PR (@SabresPR) December 30, 2013
Miller now has a five-game point streak going (4-0-1) as he continues to be a go-to guy for a Buffalo franchise that lacks many (if any) other dependable performers.
It could be another special run for Miller, who happens to have a ton of money on the line in a contract year, too.
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 0
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64